Speakers for 5.1.4 setup?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Madia, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Madia

Madia
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to build my first home theater setup and am looking for suggestions on speakers. I plan on eventually upgrading to 5.1.4 in the following room:

htheater.jpg
    The ceiling height is 6'9" and I will be using upfiring for atmos. My budget is ~$2500 for everything. I don't need everything at once; I can wait for sales and start with a 3.1 setup. This is my first time buying an A/V receiver and speakers. I'll be using it for movies/tv and some gaming; how they work for music isn't of importance. One problem I'm having with my current setup (soundbar) is that dialogue sometimes get muddied and I am looking to remedy that. From my research here's what I'm leaning toward:

A/V Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR787 ($650): The only 9 channel receiver under $1000. If this won't work then I rather give up the rear atmos and set up 5.1.2 rather than pay over $1000 for a receiver.
    Front/Center: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 ($500) and UB6 ($350): I know these speakers are the most important so I wanted my greatest investment here. I've also considered the Elac debut speakers but the UB5 are sometimes on sale for $350 making them only $100 more than the debut.
    Front Atmos speakers: ELAC Debut 2.0 A4.2 ($230): These match the UB5 and also the debut if I had to downgrade.
    Rear Speakers: Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR ($200): These have atmos included and I figured this would be the place to save money. The other option is the Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73 when they go on sale for $350.
    Sub: ELAC Debut 2.0 SUB3010 ($450): I'm not sure with this pick and this is where I need the most help. There's so many subwoofers that I just went with the Elac sub to pair with the Elac speakers. I'm looking for something that would work given my room size and pair well with the speakers. Ease of calibration would also be a bonus.

Any recommendations/advice would be greatly appreciated. As I've said this is my first time purchasing an a/v receiver so I don't want to overlook something.

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,328
    For a recommendation based on budget and speaker availability it is going to be quite hard for members on here as the Forum is based in the United Kingdom. No doubt @BlueWizard will kindly give some pointers but it may be worth your while joining the US based AVS.

What does concern me though is your ceiling height for upfiring Atmos speakers. The recommended height is for the ceiling to be between eight and fourteen feet and again at your stated height inceilings would not work too well either but would still be the better choice. That's not to say that upfiring modules would not work in the room. No two rooms seem to react the same and with seating and speaker position modules may very well work, but I would experiment with two at first.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,305
    Indeed if you are in the USA, best to try this AVS Forums Site -

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I'm on that forum under the same username.

Can we assume the the screen and the Speaker are going to be on the 14'4" wall?

Next, can we assume a single row of seating?

ELAC are a good choice, if the numbers work out for you.

Z Review - ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 (They are Awaited...)

Z Review - ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 SOUND DEMO

For a bit less money I would consider Q Acoustic 3020 in front. These are very impressive speakers for about $275/pr. Though I would not get a Q Acoustic Subwoofer. Instead there are other options depending on the budget.

If you are trying to restrain your budget, Q Acoustic are pretty impressive speaker, being frequently compared to speaker costing TWICE as much -

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-3020i-Bookshelf-Speaker-Graphite/dp/B07C4V26N1/

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-Center-Channel-Speaker-Graphite/dp/B00V6ADU0K/

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustics-Compact-Bookshelf-Speakers-American/dp/B00TR7BB8W/

DEMO: Rotel RA-1570 + Q Acostic 3020 Bookshelf

KEF LS50 vs. Q Acoustics Q3020 Comparison Review

In this last video he is comparing $1300/pr speaker to the Q Acoustic at about $280/pr, keep that in mind.

I would also consider Yamaha and Denon AV Receivers, and if possible Marantz.

You might also want to consider SVS (SV Sound) in the USA -

Prime Bookshelf Surround System

SB-1000

or -

PB-1000

SVS PRIME
    would take you into the $1500 to perhaps $1600 range depending on the Subwoofer you choose.

SVS ULTRA
    would take you considerably higher into the $3000 range (including a Sub) -

Ultra Bookshelf Surround System

There are many good sources that are not so well know in the USA - RSL, Hsu, and many others that the AVS Forum can direct you toward.

If you post in that forum and want my option, PM me there or here with a link to you thread. I mostly hang out in the 2-channel Audio form at AVS-Forums. So if you post in one of the AV Surround forums, I might miss it.

https://rslspeakers.com/

HSU Research

... and many more.

I'm sure AVS-Forums will have a wide range of suggestions for you.

Steve/bluewizard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  4. Madia

Madia
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I posted the topic over at AVS-forums. As for my setup my tv/speakers wouldn't be against the wall. Both would be on stands.