Speakers cut out when playing 4K Blu-rays

DaveB86

Established Member
Reaction score
When playing a couple of 4K Blu-rays recently (Top Gun: Maverick and The Last Jedi), the sound will occasionally cut out when playing through my 5.1 system. It's fine when played through the TV audio however, and I don't get this problem with Sky Q or inbuilt TV apps.
  • The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V350 - Optical connection to TV
  • Blu-ray player is a Sony UBP-X700 - HDMI connection to TV
  • Speakers are Acoustic Solutions:
    • AV-120 fronts / centre
    • AV-20 surrounds
I'm wondering whether the audio on the discs is too much for the AV receiver to handle, as it's fairly old and uses Optical rather than HDMI. Could this be the reason? I've checked the speaker cable connections to the receiver / connections to the TV and they all seem fine.

Optical will only provide compressed 5.1 so it is possible. Can you not connect direct to the receiver? (which one is it?)

On the TV is the optical setting PCM?

Optical will only provide compressed 5.1 so it is possible. Can you not connect direct to the receiver? (which one is it?)
Do you mean connect the blu-ray to the receiver? Unfortunately not as there are no HDMI outputs / inputs on the receiver. It's a Yamaha RX-V350. You can see the connections on this listing.
On the TV is the optical setting PCM?
Not sure, will check this when I can.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It was set to 'Auto' but I've changed it to PCM. What will that do?

Decoding of audio will be done by the player, not the receiver. It's more to see if that solves it or if it still does it, what the next step(s) can be.

Your TV, connected by the player to the 4K player, is acting in a pass through mode for the audio to the receiver. The TV will have some digital input as it will be receiving a full HD audio track from the player. Passing the audio back to the receiver via optical means that the TV has to downgrade that audio from HD to SD. This could be the cause.

Both SkyQ and the Apps on the TV are already in SD audio. Set Sky to Dolby Digital not Plus. If the TV has a similar option then again discard Plus. I'm not an LG owner so don't know their audio set up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom