speakers best suited

landcruiserjohn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I like the Sony STRDH800, the DenonAVR 1910,
the Pioneer VSX1019.
What speakers would suit each one of these Av receivers and why.
I want to spend as little as I can but want good sound aswell ,is that possible.
I dont have anything at the moment speakers or av so would naything be good to my ears.
cheers
john

The speakers that parman mentioned will also work with the pioneer. Pioneer, Sony and onkyo recievers are bright sounding and work well with the warm side of neutral sound of the Wharefdales.

These would also work with the Onkyo, Sony and pioneer.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/sfx5.1/tann-sfx5.1-blk

The Denon is a warmer sounding amp and pairs better with these brighter sounding speakers.

Jamo A102 HCS5 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

All these packages are entry level. A better sounding set for the Onkyo, sony or pioneer would be these at £350, discounted from £500+

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM (LIMITED EDITION, WALNUT FINISH) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4281 for details

If you can still find a set of these in stock, they would go with any of the amps you list and are similarly £500 speakers discounted to £350.

Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

Last edited:
hi guys
thanks for the replies. what is meant by warm, warmer, bright, neutral sound.
See I am a total new comer to this and as such do not have a clue.
Is bigger better than small, like satalite speakers versus full size.
Will all speakers use the Monster cable with the large pins .
Will all Avs match with this cable.
cheers
john

With regard to bright warm:

Sony/Onkyo/Pioneer amps are classed as bright/clinical. That means that they can favour the higher frequencies and maybe sound a bit lean. Warmer amps (Yamaha/Denon) have a more mellow sound and favour the lower midrange frequencies.

Neutral, is, well, neutral.

Bright can sound exciting for movies but can become tiring after prolonged use. Warm can appear to lack a bit of detail.

For this reason, you normally pair bright amps with warm/neutral speakers and warm amps with neutra/bright speakers. That way, the amp and speakers compliment each other.

This is all subjective to personal taste, and people hear the same sound differently --- bright to one persom is neutral to another etc.

Larger speakers will sound better than small ones. With smaller ones, you rely much more on the subwoofer to handle the lower frequencies.

Speakers use normal good quality wire, not monster cables. you connect DVD players etc. to the amp with HDMI cables and also have an HDMI cable going from the amp to the TV.

Speaker cable £1.5 per mtr will be fine

Speaker Cable - Audiovisual Online - High Quality Audio Video Cables and Accessories

HDMI leads

Cheap HDMI Cable - HDMI Cables 1.3b Full HD - Free UK Delivery - Ships Worldwide

hi guys
can you tell me what speakers are classed as warm and bright in the price range up to £500.
I did ask in a shop here and the answer I got was not helpfull.
Is it better to put more money into the purchase of the amp or speakers or try to spend near the same for both.
Which are the best speakers up to £500 and why.???
cheers
john

Which are the best speakers up to £500 and why.???
cheers
john

You are best to post a total budget and any amp preferences. The answer to that question will possibly be diffent depending on the amp, though neutral speakers such as the QA 2000 5.1 pack will work with most amps.

Is it better to put more money into the purchase of the amp or speakers or try to spend near the same for both.
That will depend on your budget. some budgets are such that a 50/50 split is the only one possible. Spending twice the cost of the amp on speakers would be good and up to three times, even better. But again it is all dependant on budget.

Hi Dicklodge
Thanks for the reply.
So are the speakers more important than the amp.
I can get the Sony strdh 800 for about £220.
Which I have read is a very good amp.
And then I have been told the speakers could be about £200 minumum or £400 odd for the QA 2000 or less for the older ones I think the QA1000.
Maybe there is a better amp at the same price as the sony, I just dont know.
Would the difference for the QA speakers be worth it or would the extra money between the minumum £200 speakers and the Qa be better put into the amp.
I dont know which is more important for better sound the amp or the speakers and of course the picture quality coming from the amp is important as well.
Thoughts please
cheers
john

You would be better buying a £200 amp with £400 speakers than a £400 amp with £200 speakers.

So the Sony H800 (or similar priced amp) with the QA 2000/1010i 5.1 packages will give you the best sound.

It's difficult to find the QA 1010is 5.1 package for £350 now, but i believe there may be still some around. I think that the QA 2000 5.1 package is nearer £500.

The alternatives to the SonyH800 are the Yamaha 465 and the Onkyo 507. The Sony is the only 7.1 amp, the others are 5.1. if you never intend going to 7.1 then it is a fairly even choice between the amps.

The Yamaha, because it is a warmer sounding amp may give you better sound quality with music.

If you can't get the QA1010i package, you may be able to build one up from individual speakers, and get better front speakers such as the 1030i/1050i floorstanders. This is where your max budget will help people.

Last edited:
Hi Guys
I tried to get my package together but still not quite there yet.
I need more advice please.
I have nearly decided on the Yahama v765 because I can get it in RS delivered where as most of there stuff seems to be in store only which is a pain/ can get the 5 year warranty and its mid range.
Any other ideas before I make the mistake.
What speakers will suit this amp.
I want to watch movies and live TV.
My room is 15ft square with the TV in an alcove beside the fireplace about 5ft wide.
One seat at 6ft in front of the TV and the couch at 10ft to the right of the TV in front of the fire.
Is big better than small, is floorstanding better than bookshelf fronts and rears.
Can I put speakers on top of the TV area at the front of the alcove in line with the TV.
cheers
john

As dicklodge mentioned, the q acoustics 1000 series is a good value speaker - to keep budget low, you could get 2 pairs of the 1010i's for fronts and rears here:

Q Acoustics 1010i Cherry | Per Pair | Richer Sounds

Center here:

Q Acoustics 1010i Cherry | Per Pair | Richer Sounds

Subwoofer here:

Audio Affair | Hi-fi, Home Cinema, Multi Room & Custom Install - Q Acoustics 1000Si Subwoofer

Thats £80 for the fronts and rears and £80 for the center, £100 for the sub - total price of £260:eek:

These retailed at £500 before the new range came out so I would recommend snapping these up quick before they run out of stock.

You will notice I've posted the cherry, black is very hard to source now but as long as you can live with the colour (the black grills cover the complete fronts if that helps), you'll not get better for £260 IMO

If you can spend more, the 1030i floorstanders can be got for £130-£140 per pair, £200 for the 1050i which have an extra and bigger drivers going down to nearly 40hz - you could then run without the subwoofer for a while until funds allow?

Last edited:
hi soupdragon
thanks for the reply but I think they are only in store issue.
I live in the rep of ireland and am about 2 and a half hours away from Belast store.
So a round trip too much.
cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom