Speakers BEHIND tv?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by planbeta, Jul 9, 2002.

1. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm trying to plan my room out, and decide which speakers to buy!

My TV sticks out a couple of feet from the wall. Would the overall effect of the sound be spoiled if I were to wall mount the front pair and centre speakers to the wall BEHIND the TV? Or do the front speakers need to be flush with the screen?

Cheers.

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Accepted wisdom is that you should usually have the front three speakers pretty much flush (in line) with each other across the front plain of your TV screen.

However, Dobly themselves advise that if you are aiming for mostly solo viewing with one 'sweet' spot then it may actually improve things to have the centre speaker slightly behind the two fronts on an imaginary shallow arc line.

In a modern cinema the centre speakers are behind the screen, not below or above it, so this appears to be a sensible option.

You may therefore get away with mounting the centre behind the TV but it'd be preferrable to have the L/R speakers flush with the TV screen if possible.

3. kevenh

kevenh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be OK to use the amp's 'centre delay' adjustment to create a virtual arc, wouldn't it?

I've set a centre delay of 1mS (it = 1ft.) to put my centre speaker another foot away from me.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kevenh: It's preferrable to physically place the speakers in the spots you require rather than have the amp attempt to do it through processing.

That said, we don't live in perfect shaped houses with perfect cinema rooms and using the amp's distance/delay settings to 'move' things by a foot or two will probably help if circumstances aren't ideal.