Speakers - B&W CM8 S2 or Monito Audio Silver 6

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AVUSERANON, Jun 20, 2015.

1. AVUSERANON

AVUSERANON
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looking to create set-up to replace my Samsung sound bar and bass.

Front speakers with centre channel speaker. Setup will be used for music and movies. Driven by either, Yahama RX-A740 or Marantz SR5009 AV Amp.

Monitor Audio Silver 6 and Bower and Wilkins CM8 S2 currently on the short list.

Adore the clarity and soundstage on the B&W, but they sound a little laid back and smooth and I can’t help feeling they lack the warmth (bass maybe?) and more rounded sound of the MAS6; which at times sounds like it could be a bit further away from me and less clear in vocals.

As I don’t intend to add a sub speaker, my thoughts are the CM8 S2 might be better for movie dialogue, but struggle with light bass.

Thoughts, advice appreciated.

Room size approx: 4.5x7.5x2.5 mtr. Speakers positions dead center along 7.5 wall, which has window at one end and door at other. Wooden floor. Super heavy, leather 4mtr sofa.

Listen to wide range of music, eg.: on the audition playlist are:
    • Sarah McLachlan
    • Portishead
    • Damien Rice
    • Olivia Newton John
    • The Veronicas
    • Willie Nelson
    • Cyndi Lauper
    • Peggy Lee
    • Diana Krall
    • Christina Aguilera
    • Annie Lennox
    • Tangerine Dream
    • U2
    • The Blue Nile
    • Pink
    • Radiohead
    • various classical
    • Texas
    Have listened to and dismissed the following:
    Dali Zensor 5 - sounded a bit loose
    Monitor Audio Bronze - too constrained
    Quadral Chromium - too bright
    Monitor Audio Silver 8 - only began to sing at higher volume, not as rounded a sound as MAS6, bass wasn’t as apparent as the MAS6

Not listened recently, but previously found KEF too rock orientated. Elac and Canton too bright.

Thanks

2. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    You really need a subwoofer for two things

Those speakers aren't full range, so you will be missing a large chunk of the audio spectrum
    You have a mid range AVR that isn't that powerful, so by setting speakers full range, it puts far more strain on the amp, so midrange clarity is lost.

You also need to put down rugs, a wooden floor is too reflective.

3. AVUSERANON

AVUSERANON
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks. Rugs are in hand.

I don't understand 2 things:
    1) in terms of 'isn't that powerful' the operating range of speakers is 30-150w/60-150w and the amp's are 90/[email protected] Hz-20 kHz 2 ch driven. What power should I be looking at?
    2) 'full range' - so what frequency are considered full range? I can't say that I was really aware I was missing out on something during the demo's and there're a definite step up from my current listening on Bose and B&W docks.

Thanks.

4. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    1) That's the power handling of the speakers. And the power output of the amplifier. You really don't have to worry about power that much, as most decent amplifier has enough power, and it's ok if you have too much power.

I am using a amplifier that is 200W into 8ohm, 300W into 4 ohm. No problem with the speakers.

2) A full range speaker is one that can reach down to 20hz +/-3dB. Not many do this, only a few that cost many thousand pounds, with a dedicated built in subwoofer. At least 12" subwoofer in each tower. Not even the largest monitor audio speaker is full range.

I have towers that go lower than those two speakers you're looking at, and I still have a subwoofer, and I have a far more powerful amplifier than the ones you're looking at.

For music you can get away with not having a subwoofer, a decent tower with frequency response to around 40hz will be sufficient. You can run these full range and not worry about degraded sound quality, or worrying can damage the speaker.

But for action movies you will need a subwoofer, LFE is really intensive, asking a regular speaker to do the entire frequency range is just asking too much.

These are full range speakers but even then I bet they go down to 25-30hz in reality.

BP-8080ST | Definitive Technology®

5. AVUSERANON

AVUSERANON
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks. So are you saying that by not having a sub I'm going to be making the L/R speakers work harder and risk damaging them? I'm really not that interested in super big bass levels in movies. For me, clarity on dialougue is key.

6. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Possibly. All depends on levels you listen to, what amp you have, what movies you watch. After seeing bass drivers on my speakers go

Intersteller has been known to damage subs.

Letting a subwoofer reproduce <80hz with your speakers set to >80hz means you free up power on your amp.

I'd start off with a 12" subwoofer, that will be superior to Monitor Audio Silver 8 towers.

7. PH001

PH001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The sub makes a very big difference to movies. You don't get the full 'cinema' experience without it. When you can pick up something like a BK Monolith second hand for £250 (check the classifieds on here), you'd be crazy not to. They do take up a bit of space though I suppose.

Also, your discussions seem to focus on the front stereo pair but of course it is the centre speaker that does 90% of the dialogue. You say clarity on dialogue is key so make sure you are happy with your choice of centre - they don't always sound quite the same as the main pair do with music, although they should have a similar 'timbre'.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  8. AVUSERANON

AVUSERANON
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for response and advice.

9. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    yeah make sure that series is a high quality center, a few brands don't bother with a decent center. A quality center makes a massive difference. I prefer 4 driver centers myself, these are pretty big and expensive but worth it over a little 2 way, 2 driver speaker.

Attached Files:

10. Cribbster

Cribbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    It's all down to your ears really and what you like the sound of. My personal experience is that the older CM8s were very middly and woolly. However the new CM8 S2s are very much better. For me it is surprising to hear you say that KEF seem more rock oriented as my experience of listening to them is that they are generally very tame and restrained. Unless you pair them with an "exciting" amp such as a Cyrus. I found the Monitor Audio 6s quite bright (ok, very bright) and a bit lacking in bass. I would recommend you also consider taking a look at the new Tannoy Revolution speakers. They are about the same price point and are well worth a listen. And I would expect them to sit very nicely with a Yamaha amp based on my current setup that has a Yamaha amp and Tannoy Mercury speakers. :)