• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Speakers at ear height or ceiling aimed at ear?

Meadowlark

Novice Member
I am running my speaker wire in the office for surround sound. I don't know if I should run the wire to the seated ear height or if I should only run the wire to corners of the ceiling and then use speakers that mount onto the ceiling that you angle towards the listening area? If I do the wire down the walls I would then make a shelf or bracket to mount speakers on the exterior of the wall because I don't want to do recessed wall speakers on my exterior house walls due to insulation loss. So which type of speaker placement would benefit me better for gaming and watching movies?

For home cinema i would go for wall mounted, ceiling speakers are not always the best for movies even if they can be angled in. Also consider that with ceiling speakers you need to insulate the audio for rooms above and possibly fire as well

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
So many questions :)

Room/Room layout - is key to decent surround sound playback!

Office - other than sound studios the layout of very few 'offices' are optimised for Movie playback.

Loudspeakers - follow the Dolby guides, see Speaker Setup Guide

In-ceiling - are often a compromise plus you have to factor in local building regs (you may require Fire hoods) and noise containment (the folk above you may not like your choice of music/movies).

In-ceiling - don't use the corners, layout the speakers as per the Dobly guideline positions and use speakers designed to 'aim' the Mid and HF into the listening position.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Op is not on about in ceiling speakers' - missed that bit!

'If you follow the "rules" then all speakers should be at the same height' - for Surround Sound the Front LCR ought to be at ear height and the surrounds above ear height!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom