Speakers at ceiling height

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Gee, May 4, 2007.

1. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi folks,

I am moving house shortly and in my new house its looking like my projector screen is going to go in front of the chimney breast but the problem is that when the screen is down I'm not going to have anywhere to put my centre speaker. I have been thinking of getting some kef eggs or similar and putting them at ceiling height in front of screen but pointing down slightly but I am concern it will affect the sound stage etc.

Anyone got opinions or experiences with speakers being at ceiling height?

Thanks,

2. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Many folk do for the reasons you state. Any many installers use in-ceiling speakers because the natural void between the joists is convenient. But this does not make it right. Pointing the speakers can help but you will still identify the sound as coming from overhead. Bit like piped music in a curry house:)

You only have to walk into the average living room to see speakers all over the place. The sound may be of reasonable quality but forget imaging, stereo or multi. Mind you better than nothing and we all have to make compromises somewhere.

3. Gee

Gee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks iain! If I don't put the speakers at ceiling height the only other solution I can think of is have the left and right on stands either side of the chimney breast and have the centre on a shorter stand that I can move out of the way when we're not watching a film (would be in front of the fire otherwise). Might not be the best idea but will at least get me up and running in the meantime.

Any other suggestions or experiences are welcome!

Cheers,