1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers at an angle

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JayBee, Oct 22, 2002.

1. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being newbie to home cinema, I think I understand the basic setup required for speaker placement. However, most of the things you read assume that you are sitting precisely between the side walls, facing directly to the front wall.

Now let's take a normal room that has a fireplace in the middle of the front wall. This means that the TV has to go to one side of the fireplace, which means nothing is head on any more, so how do you place the front and rear (bipole?) speakers.

Main - I can place them either directly next to the TV, or one on the other side of the fireplace, but I'm not sure of the min/max distances from the TV.

Rear - This is a little more tricky. I either attempt to face the TV, which means one side wall is a lot nearer than the other. Or I sit along the middle of the wall, facing the TV at an angle. In this case, if I mount the rear speakers on the side walls do I still place them equal distances from the rear wall, or do I place one of them a lot nearer the front wall so they are both in line with my ears?

Sorry, that was a little long, but thanks for any advice.

Jason

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It sounds as if you have a similar room layout to me. I have the left hand main speaker 2.5 feet to the left of the TV and the right speaker about 5/6 feet to the right. It isn't ideal but still sounds OK.

The dipole rears I have mounted high on the side walls and they were set up for a sweet spot in the centre (where nobody sits) but I have changed the settings slightly in favour of the end that I sit at.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    When you get to poor Ian's age, your wife will no longer meet you in the centre of the sofa for a cuddle anymore:( ;)

4. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say you've set it up for a sweet spot in the center, do you mean you've mounted them in a particular manner, or does your amp allow you to add delays to individual speaks?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry to disappoint you but whilst I might be the grand old man of the forum, my wife is your age :)

JayBee,

My amp won't input individual delays for the rears but it will allow for different distances.

6. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhhh. I was going to get the Yamaha DSP-AX630SE, which looking at the manual doesn't appear to provide that facility. All I would be able to do is increase the output level of the individual speakers.

7. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I was the only one with a setup like that! When I put a DVD in and turn it up it sounds great so I wouldn't worry if I were you:)
    I have also set it up so the best spot is the middle of the room where no-one sits but if I want the best sound for a film then I just slide the sofa towards the best spot!