1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers around 200 quid

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by e365user, Dec 7, 2004.

1. e365user

e365user
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody!
    I am planning to set up a home theatre.
    So far i got old flat screen sony tv and a pioneer 575.
    I more or less decided on the amp, it would be a pioneer 714(which could be bought for just under 200) or something similiar.
    However i have little idea about speakers.
    The cheap version seems to be tannoy FX5.1. However i willl mostly use the system for playing back cds and mp3's, therefore i need a good sound quality. Also got little confidence in those tiny speakers. I have found an alternative : ELAC CINEMA ONE ESP MK2 5.1 HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM(200 pound). Are they better than tannoy fx?
    How about higher priced model, in particular warfedale (unfortunatelly no subwoofer)http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2060 and devon : http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1746 .
    Are those more expensive moddels considerably better than tannoy fx and elac cinema one?
    Ideally i dont want to spend more than 200 quid on speakers unless the quality increase is substantial.

2. e365user

e365user
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to tell that i also got two 4 year old warfedale speakers(cost only 80 quid at the time).
    From this forum i understood that rear speakers could be of a lower quality than front and center ones. Is it a good idea to put them into the a 3.1 system with better speakers(to form a 5.1 system)?
    thanks

3. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a set of Tannoy FX5.1's..
    First time with a dedicated AV amp and speakers after recently upgrading from a tv with a 5.1 decoder built in.

Well happy with the sound of the speakers and got a good deal on them too - Bennetts Electrical were selling for £128 and then went to Richer who price busted to £118 !

Did consider the Elac system too but went for the Tannoy's

4. e365user

e365user
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you comment on the music quality?

Thats what bothers me. For 118 you get speakers and all cables (which surely cost 20 quid) so the price of sepakers is below 100 pounds.

5. e365user

e365user
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have anybody used the wharfedale or denon speakers in the first post?

6. Stuart.Ainslie

Stuart.Ainslie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't really used them that much on music but do sound pretty good to me - just got rid of a Denon / Bose hi-fi set up in favour of the AV kit, so can't be that bad....

With regards to the price, the speakers were originally sold for around £400 but are being replaced by EFX 5.1's, so the few places that do still have stock are selling off for a budget price. I think it is wrong to dismiss them due to the low price that you obtain them for at the moment - they sound far better than any of the other sub £200 speaker systems that I could find and have been rated pretty highly in the speaker reviews.

The cables, I dumped, and used QED Kontour untra-flat instead - I don't think the supplied stuff is that bad but wanted super flat stuff to run under the carpet.

I'm no AV expert but I think a few other users of this forum may agree that they are not a bad set of speakers, especially at that price...

7. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tannoy FX1s started at more than £650! What-hifi (of course!) said they were great speakers at that price over a year ago. They're one of the best "cheap" sets of speakers you can buy...didn't know they were being replaced - but that's inevitable really.

Slightly more expensive are Canton's great CD1s (EUR299 if you buy from europe) - do a quick search and you'll find plenty of info. I heard these and was very tempted, but not at UK retail of £480 - buy 'em abroad!

8. e365user

e365user
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies!
    Can you compare them to mission m3s? I found them only for 210 with delivery(link somewhere on this forum)? On the picture they seem to be nicer than tannoys. How about the music quality?

Slightly more expensive are Canton's great CD1s (EUR299 if you buy from europe) - do a quick search and you'll find plenty of info. I heard these and was very tempted, but not at UK retail of £480 - buy 'em abroad!

9. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, no experience of Missions - whereabouts are you?

As always, don't buy without listening to them if you can. If music's important you may want to buy larger bookshelf of floorstanders as few sub/sat systems are great with music.

10. e365user

e365user
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, at my town we only got 1 serius hifi shop but it sells stuff way to expensive, so i thought to buy online.

11. e365user

e365user
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. e365user

e365user
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody can give any advice on what speakers to choose?

13. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, have a look at this:
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_21653.html

This'll give you a great starting point instantly, Yamaha RXV-350 and Yamaha speakers bundled for £170 - cheap as chips. Do a search for "Yamaha AV50" here there's quite a few threads about it now...supposed to sound great with an upgraded sub. Be warned though, you'll soon be contemplating expensive upgrades like the rest of us!