1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers and Woofers? Are Subs requried? HELP !!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by osprey, Mar 3, 2005.

1. osprey

osprey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I am new here.. :) and in a situation

I was just wondering for a home theater setup, are subwoofers really required?

I have a pair of anthony gallo reference 3 speaker for my Front 2 and 1 Due for the center together with the A'diva for the rear 2.

The people at the shop told me that there is not need to use a woofer as the 2 main speakers are good enough to provide the bass response. further more the ref 3 speakers can be driven to 22hz with a seperate amp to drive the speaker's second coil..

But i was wondering if i should consider getting 2 additional micros just to make it a 7.1 system? Does it really make a difference?

I am currently using the Denon AVC 11 which is actually quite outdated but i think it is sufficient for my usage..

If i use the THX music or cinema mode to 7.1 can i still set the main speakers to large? or is it fixed to the THX mode where everything is small?

The main reason is my house is not ready yet and i need some advice so that i can lay the cables and do the fitting during the renovation .. i think it will be a fuss to redo if i intend to change the setup later

Thanks in advance..

osprey

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have recently heard the reference 3 speakers at a show in two channel mode but if this extra module was fitted I wouldn't have known as the music being played didn't have deep bass in it.

If you want to experience true home cinema you do need to get down to the low twenties in Hz and the traditional way of doing this is by adding on a subwoofer. I can't comment on the effectiveness of the Gallo "Bass Augmentation Module" as I haven't heard it but if it does reach down to 22Hz at a reasonable +/- db figure and the price is also competitive with a traditional subwoofer I would suggest that you ask your dealer whether he would allow you to borrow one to try it out at home.

7.1 is probably worth the extra expense if you have the room to accommodate the extra speakers but in the UK many of us have the settee flush against the rear wall which makes positioning the extra speakers difficult if not impossible.

3. osprey

osprey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand and will try to ask the dealer..
    btw, it is possible to set the main speakers to handle the full range right in all modes?
    I am not sure but have this idea that the 5.1 or 7.1 requries a sub at all times...

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Joe Fernand is a Gallo dealer in the UK and he will answer your question a little later when he is in front of his PC

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello osprey

As yet the Reference 3 SA Sub Amp has not arrived in the UK - its due here in 240v trim around April/May 2005.

There is also Reference Centre Channel arriving around the same time as the SA.

The presentation at the Bristol Show was not using the SA - the Reference 3 were in the same standard 'Full Range' trim as your own pair.

As Ian J says using the Reference 3 in Standard trim, though very good, will not satisfy everyone as they don't go low enough - in 'Full Range' mode they go down to 34Hz.

I've not heard the SA or Reference Centre Channel as yet - though those that have given them a big thumps up.

It may be an idea to pre wire a sub cable (or two) to a couple of wall plates just in case you try the SA and either don't like it or feel a traditional active sub (or two) is a better option for you.

Like Ian J I find that 7:1 works in some rooms and is just too much in other rooms - there's a photo on the Plasma Forum 'Get yours out...' thread that shows what some folk end up with, someone has a B&W rear speaker about an inch away from their head :)

Again I'd lay cables to where the extra speakers would live and then experiment with your set-up once your in the room.

Best regards

Joe

PS Anthony Gallo Nucleus Reference 3 - 'The Absolute Sound' product of the Year for 2004 :smashin:

6. osprey

osprey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice.. will wait and see when the SA arrives..

7. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was told be my local sevenoaks that the two most important speakes in any home cinema setup is the centre, as thats where most dialogue comes from, and then the subwoofer.
    I had been using my old ms10is at the front , bought by MA bronze rears, and then got the sub. It totally transformed it!! Then later i got my centre and it totally transformed it again.
    I just got my MA silver 6s last week and my god, it totally transformed it again. The bass alone from the silver 6s rivals my MS 309 sub. You can notice the subs there, and im glad ive got it, but the s6s do so much that my small bookshelf ms10is couldnt go near.