1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers and their weight

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lesmond, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi folks,

Been looking at specs of both the Monitor Audio Bronze B2 and the B&W 601 S3s/602 S3s (as they are pretty close in terms of performance and size).

I was wondering what should be read (if anything) into the weight of the speaker, in terms of quality?

For example, the 601 S3 is of similar size to the Bronze 2, but the B2 (~13.5Kg) is more than twice the weight of the B&W!! (~6Kg). The larger 602 S3 is still not quite as heavy (~10Kg)

Before I got into the HT playground (!) I was told that a weight of a speaker was one good indication of a speaker, as it would be of a better quality - e.g. it would be using bigger, heavier magnets?

I know that the Monitors do use quite thick layers of MDF for their cabinets, but I doubt that would be the sole reason for weighing in this much!!

Any thoughts?

L

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Weight is not always a good measure of speaker design but the following is important.

Larger magnets will exert more control over a speaker cone in most designs.
    Heavier cases are usually less resonant (assuming equal design skills) and stiffer than lighter ones, because of the materials used and the amount of internal bracing.

However, there are caveats, such as Anthony Gallo Acoustics totally rigid yet very light weight cabinets - which use spheres rather than boxes.
    I'd say that B&W probably have done more research into cabinet design than Monitor Audio though.

3. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Two reasons why the Monitors (on papar anyway) look the better option! :rolleyes:

Why do you say that, just out of interest?

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B&W have some of the top loudspeaker research facilities in the world (still doesn't make me like their products though). The amount of work that went into the original Nautillus (looks like a seashell if you haven't seen one) is absolutely staggering, and this research is slowly making it's way down through their product range.

5. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just read that the Monitors are magnetically sheilded (even the standmounts) as standard. Maybe this another contributing reason? :rolleyes:

In any case, I'll be auditioning both :)

In the end, the ears have the vote!

L

6. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well should you decide to go for the B&W's, you could save some money and buy mine! You'll even have a choice of colours too, I've got a black pair and a sorrento pair for sale in the classifieds section... :D

SMP