1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers and room size

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by twoofer, Dec 14, 2004.

1. twoofer

twoofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have £2500 to £3000 to set up a home cinema (with projector) from scratch. I'm undecided about nearly everything but on the audio side I'm thinking of a Denon AVR-2105 amp (on the basis of a good review in November's Home Cinema) and the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evolution 3B 5.1 package (which several places have on offer). My only concern is that this set up may be too powerful for the room, which is 12 feet wide and 14 feet long. Ceiling height is 8 feet. Any thoughts?

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll be fine with them, my room is a simiar size and I've got Mordaunt Short 906 floorstanders (also MS centre, rears, and sub). They sound excellent and aren't overpowering so you should be fine with the Evos. The worst you have to do is not turn up the volume as much.

You need to be careful with placement though, floorstanders generally need a bit of room to breathe, mine are about a foot from the wall.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    You should be fine with that room setup, as Bob said be careful with the floor-standers, in terms of bass.

If you’re using a projector, you may want something with component video up-conversion. I’m not sure whether the Denon 2805 has it or not. Maybe also consider the Yamaha 750 which is around the similar price (£380 from superfi).

4. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    If speaker placement is going to be a problem, consider the Monitor Audio Bronze range as they're front ported so not so crucial for speaker placement.

5. twoofer

twoofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much everyone...but Tejstar you've got me worried...isn't 'component output' on the projector just to do with the video signal...I thought the audio signal just...er, well I suppose I hadn't really thought about it

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    You're right, it's just that some people like to do all their video switching through their amp/receiver. You can bypass this functionality (like I have) and just run your audio inputs through the amp. I was just pointing it to you that's all :)