1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers and power handling question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jonesthegas, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    After speaking to a colleague at work today, he suggested that if I possesed an amp rated at 170W per channel and tried to drive a speaker rated at 120W power handling, that I would damage the speaker even at low volumes.

Therefore, If I bought a powerful amp, I would be obliged to buy a speaker with power handling greater than the power of the amp.

I previously thought that too little power at high volumes was the way to damage speakers, not by having too much power.

Martin

2. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run my kef 100c (rated at 175w) @ 360W using a rotel 981 bridged to mono without any harm.

even at not so modest volume levels you will only be buring a couple of W anyway.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    This is decidely untrue!...within reason anyway.

Basically it's better to run a set of speakers with a higher rated amp which is unlikely to clip...when an amp is allowed to clip,a large amount of high frequency distrtion is produced,which will damage the speakers.
    If the amp is used sensibly,no problems will result.....my B&Ws,rated at 120W each are run using Krell monoblocs capable of delivering over 200W at their rated impedance,and up to 800W peaks.

4. jayacee

jayacee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My speakers have recommended 15-80w amp. Am I in any danger using a 100w amp?

5. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

In a word, no.

6. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alexs2 is spot on.

The distortion created by an amplifier 'clipping' is highly damaging, particularly for tweeters.

You're more likely to damage your speakers by overtaxing an amp within the rated power band than by using a more powerful amp.

Someone can pick me up on this if I'm wrong, but I believe all speakers have a maximum SPL (sound pressure level) inherent to their design, you would find therefore no point in cranking a powerful amp right up (where it could cause damage to the speaker) as it won't make it go any louder.

In a nutshell - plenty of power should be OK if, as stated, used within reason.