Speakers and ohms

D

Deleted member 898655

Can i use 4 ohm front speakers and 8 ohms for the rest of the 7.1 system.

Amp is a Denon 4308.

Many thanks

Check the amp manual, that will tell you if it supports 4 Ohms. If so you should be OK.

The 4308 is probably beefy enough to handle 4 ohm speakers at the front. They will put more strain on the power supply but it should be OK as long as you do not go mad with the volume. Personally I would probably try to find other speakers also is the centre a matching one to the fronts? Out of interest what speakers are you looking at?
If the 4308 has a switch for lower impedance speakers it is best to keep it set at 8ohms and just use retraint with the volume as all the switch does is limit power to the speakers and this can reduce sound quality.

In most cases manufacturers don't specify at what hz is the rated impedance.... but generally the lower you go the lower the impedance. If you're going to be using a sub, and hence not running your speakers full range, I wouldn't worry much.

Fwiw I use the same monitors all round for surround sound. Rather than use just one of a pair (8 ohms) for the centre, I opted to run the pair connected in parallel (4 ohms). Had no problems at all, tbf however my Marantz has a very good psu which helps.

Sorry for the late reply, and thank you for your input.

Had in my sights some MK speakers for all fronts, but due to a card scam it is now a no goer. My sub also has recently failed so thats my week done well and truly.

My current speakers are a bit of a mish mash, and not best suited for the amp quality and the source.

Is it that all speakers should be of the same make and the same speaker?

Ideally all speakers (except the sub) should be the same make and model (with the same drivers in each as well). However, in reality as long as the front 3 match tonally (same make/model is the easiest way to achieve this) then it does not matter too much if you have different rears.
Sorry to hear about the card scam but surely you should not foot the bill for that as fraud is covered by card issuer.

Cheers PSM, but i have been left to feel a reel wally for not being able to complete a sale on here under the classifieds.

So in an ideal world all speakers should match, front and then rears.

Would i get a better uniform sound if all speakers were exactly the same.

We are very happy with picture quality, but sound is a bit of a let down, been building our system up for a while running denon 2930? infocus 7205/ and 4308 amp.

Many thanks to the all other posters.

Another question regards speakers, i now gather that 8 ohm speakers are easier to drive than the 4 ohm, always fancied a full set of MK, but with my sub blown do you go for 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers. is there any advantage in either set up? any help would be appreciated. once i get sorted out with bank.

There's no inherent qualitative difference between 4ohm and 8ohm (nominal) speakers ... that is to say that with all else equal 4 or 8 ohms don't matter ... but in reality nothing is ever the same!

The single most important factor in selecting 4 or 8 ohm speaker is what amp will be driving them. If you're sticking to the 4308 (and there's nothing wrong with that) then I would veer towards easier loads (that's 8).... the HCC review shows that with 5 channels driven it reached 130wpc 0.5thd at 8ohm and 110wpc 0.5thd at 4ohm. This is an indication that the power supply couldn't keep up the current demand for the 4ohm load and, depending on your listening habbits, you might drive the speakers into distortion. In theory if the psu could supply as much current as needed 4ohm should always have double the wpc of 8ohm - this is rarely the case, thou' it does exist.

Having the same speaker all the way around would be the absolute ideal in terms of integration as the sound should be seamless all the way around.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom