1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers and Banana Plugs ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mr_Wistles, May 19, 2004.

1. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,955
    Hi there hope you can help me. I have just bought the Denon 3805 and am going to be buying an Acoustic Energy AEGIS EVO 3B Home 7.1 setup.

The question I have is about connecting the speakers to the amp, do I have to have banana plugs on the wires to connect the speakers or can I connect them the old way by simply cutting the wire and twisting it round the connector ?

The reason I ask this is because I have been told that to fit the plugs yourself you need a certain tool. So the retailer said that I would need to give exact measurements for each section of wire so he could fit the plugs. The thought of getting all these measurements is a bit daunting (I don't even move into the house until Friday week !!! :( )

Finally if it is possible to use them without the plugs, will I experience a considerable difference in quality. The system will only be used for films not cd's.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Russ

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In many cases the banana plugs have a screw fitting so it's a matter of seconds to slip the end of a bare cable into a banana plug and tighten the screw.

There doesn't seem to be any sonic benefit in using banana plugs over bare wire but it is easier if you are a fiddler who is constantly needing to take the cables in and out.

3. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,955
    So the speakers will be able to accept the bare wire ?, this is what I am worried about.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There will be no problems using bare wire on your speakers and amp.

5. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    How about airlock plugs is there an advantage from them wouldnt they prevent oxidation of the cable?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    So the rumours have it.

I use a mixture of simple screw type banana plugs and bare wires and have never noticed any deterioration in sound due to oxidation of the cables.

7. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,955
    Think I will go with the bare wires then, thanks for your advise.

One last question, are the speakers a good choice ?, I am paying £850 for the 7.1 setup, any other recommendations ?

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Dont worry about the speakers m8 I use them as my front 3 and they are superb :smashin: :thumbsup: :clap:
    Just take the gold connectors out from between the terminals on the main speakers and fit the same speaker cable between them that you are using in there place (the gold connectors) :smashin:

9. andes

andes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, I have similar stereo system like yours. I have AE EVO 3 as my left, right and center speakers, two surround Wharfedale WH2 speaks and Polk Audio subwoofer. They are connected to my entry level amplifier, Marantz SR4500.

I asked by e-mail to AE, Will Fisher, Group Support Manager.
    wfisher@acoustic-energy.co.uk. He kindly replied and suggested bare speaker cables are commonly used in AE. If needed, banana plugs in 4mm diameter ought to be used.

I had shorter 4mm diameter banana plugs to connect my AE speakers. They fit well.
    But, I had Y spades to connect with my Marantz SR4500. They are slightly tight to fit in.

My primary use of plugs and spades is to avoid exposure speaker cables to air too much. Another reason is to avoid speaker cables accidentally touch each other and cause damages.

Later, I will try to upgrade my speaker cables for my 2 main front speakers. The difference is hard to tell for my ears.