Speakers and amp power

H

hydrix_tjj

Hi All. I own a Marantz PM4200 amp and am looking into upgrading my speakers.
After seeing the Mission M73 floorstanders i've kinda set my heart on them but i'm worried about the 4200's power handling as its only 30 watts per channel.
How loud will I be able to drive the speakers without damaging them?

mission M73 - http://www.mission.co.uk/product/m70/m73-spec.htm

bear in mind I don't know too much about audio!

Thanks in advance
Tim

B

bob007

Missions specs state the amp needed to run these speakers should be between 25watts-100watts, you should be ok with the Marantz PM4200 as it is rated at 30watts, what you may find is the amp will run out of steam to run the Missions at there best, beware of clipping/distortion this will damage your speakers. Run at sensible levels I don't see a problem. :)

buns

Banned
I always say the same as bob, and to be perfectly honest, i have never managed to drive speakers or amp to a point where clipping will set in. If you want to listen at those sort of volumes, you need PA equipment, not AV. :D

ad

S

Sunday Ironfoot

Those are good speakers and that's a good amp from what I've heard. Make sure you get the 'i' version of the M73 (M73i), as I've heard Mission made some sihnificant improvements to it.

H

hydrix_tjj

thanks guys. I've ordered the 73i's from hifijunkies and they'll arrive on friday!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom