Speakers and amp for small lounge

woodgaz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Advice please oh gurus of HC.
I am looking at a new dvd, amp and speakers to do justice to my 6 month old PW6.
I have a small(ish) lounge with the screen on the wall.
I don't want big speakers (floor standing is right out) and was looking at the US made Orb speakers as they seem to get good reviews - obviously haven't been able to demo any yet!

I am also leaning toward a Denon 3805 amp because a) everyone is raving about it b) the remote looks COOOOOL and is a learning one (I particularly like how the buttons change to the device selected) c) the video upscaling to component and switching means I will be able to have good feed to my screen (its currently S-Vid) and just the one component cable to the screen.

I would like to use HDMI/DVI in future but Panasonic have some issues to work out there....

Is the 3805 too beefy for what I need? Would the 2805 work as well in this scenario (has the video function but not the cool remote :( )

Would it be too powerful for the ickle biddy Orbs?

What sub should I go for with the Orbs? I don't want the Orb one due to shipping and power supply issues.

Does ilink or Denon link work only on DVD-A ie music, and not on movies? Is it going to enhance the movie viewing side of things at all?

Cheers
G.

The 3805 isn't overkill IMO. More power doesn't mean you have to use it all. More power does give you more control over the speakers and as long as you don't crank the Orbs up to 11, they'll be fine.

Best sub depends on your budget. Pop over to the Subwoofer section on this site for sub recommendations. Also see the Event 2 section near the bottom of this site for a great budget sub shootout some of our memebers went through recently.
:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom