Speakers and amp for £300 max. New not used. Any suggestions?

Newegg does ship to the UK specifically though. So it would be worth putting them in his cart, going to checkout and see what the cost comes out to be. If you do that OP, let me know what it says.
I couldn't find those speakers at the UK version of the Newegg site (your link doesn't work for me), so I chose a random pair listed at £43.54 and added it to the basket. With estimated VAT of £8.71 and shipping of £32.30, the total came to £84.55. So almost twice the stated price.

A more expensive pair at £82.12 had VAT of £16.42 and shipping of £48.07. And a pair at £161.99 added VAT of £32.40 and shipping of £42.94.

So the shipping drops as a proportion when the price rises, but it's steep compared to domestic shipping (especially as you can often get free shipping here). Considering you'd forfeit any protection under UK consumer rights laws, and you'd almost certainly have problems with warranties, returns, or any kind of customer service if needed, I really don't see any sense in buying from the US.

Last edited:
Try this link and tell me what gets added.
The checkout only allows US addresses - City, State, Zip Code, no country option.

Also, I got popups trying to get me to buy an extended warranty twice, and popups trying to sell me Covid-19 masks twice. Do you Americans have to put up with that kind of crap all the time?

Last edited:
I couldn't find those speakers at the UK version of the Newegg site (your link doesn't work for me), so I chose a random pair listed at £43.54 and added it to the basket. With estimated VAT of £8.71 and shipping of £32.30, the total came to £84.55. So almost twice the stated price.

A more expensive pair at £82.12 had VAT of £16.42 and shipping of £48.07. And a pair at £161.99 added VAT of £32.40 and shipping of £42.94.

So the shipping drops as a proportion when the price rises, but it's steep compared to domestic shipping (especially as you can often get free shipping here). Considering you'd forfeit any protection under UK consumer rights laws, and you'd almost certainly have problems with warranties, returns, or any kind of customer service if needed, I really don't see any sense in buying from the US.

No it's highly unlikely I would buy hifi from outside of the UK for myself in case of problems and I certainly wouldn't advise my friend to as if he runs into issues, he's going to regret trusting me for advice.

Last edited:
I have a Marantz pm5005. works well with bronze 2.

For only £30 more my choice would be the excellent Mission LX2 speakers.

For amp, something like this serviced amp looks a good option. It looks in good condition, has remote control and phono. I can vouch for this seller.

Ha ha, the deadly "Just £30 more" This time last year I had a maximum budget of £1000 for a complete new system but decided I could get x for just a little more. Here I am now sat in front of a system that cost £3770!!! Sounds great and I'm happy though.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The checkout only allows US addresses - City, State, Zip Code, no country option.

Also, I got popups trying to get me to buy an extended warranty twice, and popups trying to sell me Covid-19 masks twice. Do you Americans have to put up with that kind of crap all the time?

It’s a larcenous, mercenary culture.

I don’t know... seems a bit daft, it was a mighty fine all in one. 100W, dac and current to burn.

It was a £400 amp though initially, so a bit out of this budget anyway.

Perhaps it was too good a deal?

I have this one, it's brilliant, and excellent value. Have they discontinued it?

I'm trying to help a mate out that needs speakers and an amp to use with a Audio-Technica LP3 turntable. He wants to buy new, knows nothing about hifi so has been a bit shocked by prices and has a max budget of £300 so I need to stick to it. I just saw Richer Sounds are offering MA Bronze 1 for £119 which I thought was a good place to start leaving about £180 for an amp. I can give him a bit of cable if they don't throw any in with his purchase.

Any suggestions? Anyone spotted any bargains recently? Buying new and from the lower end of the market are not things I've done in many years so I'm almost as clueless as he is!

Kanto YU4 or if he can stretch to it, YU6. Both have integrsted phono stages.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom