1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers, amps, 5.1 - clueless newbie questions..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by nekso, Aug 5, 2005.

1. nekso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a home cinema system in a room of my new house, however I'm a total newbie soundwise so, I'll really need some help.

I already have a 32'' LCD from JVC, all the media is coming from my PC apart from a PS2 and soon, satellite signal. Now, I intend to have a Dolby Digital 5.1 system but my biggest problem is with all the connections I'll need.

I already have the DVD player from my pc and because most home cinema kits come with a separate DVD player I've chosen to get separate modules. Now how do I connect all the speakers? I guess they all connect to one device (the subwoofer?) but what connection do I need to carry all 5 channels? Do I need 5 rca's? I've got a SB Live on my PC so I already have SPDIF and digital out connections... can I use those? should I use those?

And do I need an amp? whats the advantages of having one? I was avoiding one because the room is small, I shouldn't need much amplification...

Sorry, lots of questions I know, but I'm pretty clueless here... :( Can someone shed some light over this?

Thanks for any help!
  2. hornydragon

Dec 19, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    you need an AV amplifier to feed passive speakers (sounds like you have come from a PC background) you need to budget £200+ for an AMP and £250+ for speakers you connect the passive speakers to AMP with speaker wire and if you have an Active SUB you use a single line level RCA c onnection for the .1 channel have a search and a read this will help: