Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Speakers + Amp Under £350 - Help?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fastlegs, Nov 16, 2004.

1. fastlegs

fastlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to the world of Home Cinema so could do with some advice. I'm looking to buy an AV amp and Speakers to go with my existing DVD player and TV. I have a budget of £300-£350 in total so I'm looking at the cheaper end of the market.

Richer Sounds Edinburgh recommended the Yamaha RXV-350 Amp (£149) and the Yamaha NSP100 Speakers (£99). The amp seems ok but not really sure of the speakers. I want to use them for music as well as DVDs due to space / wife issues. The Yamahas seem a bit lightweight. Didn't try them out at the time as the shop was about to close...

Anyone any suggestions what I should check out?

Elac Cinema 1 ESP Mk 2
    Tannoy FX 5.1
    Mission M3s / M2s

2. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Either have that Yamaha amp, or get a Denon 1802 either from the for sale/trade forum or off eBay, for about £100.

Then, if you wanted floorstanding speakers, then go here:

Wharfedale Diamond Plus from Superfi

Or you could go here and get them separately, and go for two 8.1s and the centre. You wouldn't need to add a sub straight away, but its probably worth it in the long run. You'll probably get something decent off eBay for about £100-£150 later on...

Wharfedale selection from Superfi

If you wanted much smaller micro speakers, then I'm afraid I know very very little about them in that price range, so I'll leave it to someone else...

3. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have the 350 and the Canton CD1's they cost me around £350 in total, but you need to buy cables on top therefore putting the price up!

4. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar budget for my first multichannel system. Opted for a Yamaha 340 Amp and a set of 5 Gale Monitors (Richer Sounds own brand). Found they worked very well together.

5. fastlegs

fastlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. The Yamaha 350 fits my price range the Denon might be pushing it a bit (forgot about cables!). Although the Denon seems to get better press/written about more.

How does the Yamaha handle music CDs? I want to use this system as my only HiFi/Home Cinema setup as we live in quite a small house. I'm more interested in sound quality rather than volume.

Wharfedales too big I'm afraid. Cantons are a possibility. Richer Sound appear to be phasing out the Gales - not seen them in Edinburgh or online.

I'm pretty tempted by the Elac Cinema 1's - seen them for £190 on the net. Anyone got an opion on them. The reviews seem good but most seem to date from a few years ago.

Too much choice...not enough cash!

6. DASH

DASH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Im In The Same Boat As You Guys With The Yamaha Speackers And Amp

7. DASH

DASH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Im Also No Sure About The Yamaha ,
    If You Have New Info Keep Me Informed
    Thanks

8. bazlion

bazlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I have just bought(about 2 weeks ago) the Yamaha av 50 package, that's the RX-350 AMP + NSP100 Speaker package from Peter Tyson's for £220 inc'. I had a pair of old Tangent Floorstanders,one packed up, so I looked on Richer's and saw a pair of Aural Envelope EX300 Floor standers for £69.99, never heard of them, so done a search on Google and found 2 very favourable reviews from satisfied customers,took the plunge, got them a couple of days ago,so still breaking them in, have to say I am well chuffed, absolute bargain.
    With regard to the Yamaha Speakers, fine for Home Cinema surround sound etc, but obviously not a patch on the Floor standers for musical works.I have a Sony CD player going through my amp to listen to my cd's,and as the Amp has two sets of front speaker terminals you can have both sets of speakers hooked up and listen as you wish, I don't have a DVD player as yet.

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Take a look at the Mission 73i speakers from Richer Sounds. These are a discontinued model, but they are great value at £150 a pair !

10. fastlegs

fastlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info bazlion - I suspected that the NSP100s wouldn't be great for music. The floor standers as a second set sounds good to me. Unfortunately the wife isn't keen on having 'big' speakers in 'her' living room - hence the need to source decent micro 5.1 setup.

Anyone got anything to say about micro speakers?

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, most take a lot of driving (because they're inefficient), so they often sound "forced" and not natural. Take your other half to see the Missions - they're quite elegant.

12. shansy

shansy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unbeatable.co.uk Have the AV 50 package RXV350 + NSP100 for £178

Sounds a bargain if its what you want. Not worth a penny if you don't like the sound

13. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Can I try and persuade you to stretch your budget a bit and get these?

Celestion AVP 305

Won quite a few awards at £800, now selling at £300...

Then get something like the Denon of Yamaha second hand at around £100, and you're about £50 over budget, but would probably be worth it...

14. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    elac cinema1 are great speakers and are a good buy at their £400 retail price so get a deal and you're laughing!

15. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    I am new to home cinema too. Recently bought the same yam amp with pioneer 575 and mission m7s package. Watching movies was great but trying to listen to stereo music was much worse than i could have expected. My old goodmans stereo was much better. Lived with them for a month before changing them for a s/h set of m3s. Much better straight away without any fiddling. Its still not that good but at least its better than the goodmans in the bedroom. I must say ive been suprised at how poor this av kit is with music.

16. fastlegs

fastlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went for the Elac Cinema 1's in the end - got them for £199 from Superfi. Blew the budget and opted for the Denon 1705 too.

So far I'm pretty impressed with the system - as I said orginally, I don't listen at high volume. Elacs are nice and small but weighty and the wife likes them too. Her comment was that the new gear makes the TV look old fashioned. That's a green light to get a new one then...

I'll let you know how the system sounds once I've got it fully set up.

Cheers