1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers / amp for use with mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sobeitjedi, Sep 18, 2005.

1. sobeitjedi

sobeitjedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi.

Anyone know of a good quality speaker system/amp setup that will be mainly used with mp3 players (ipod / iriver) and cd players via the headphone jack? The speaker system will need to be loud and not necessarily portable as it will stay in one place.

2. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Hi,
    How much is your budget? 2 speakers or more?

3. sobeitjedi

sobeitjedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not idea of what price - something less than £100 would be great.

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    At £100 you are really talking about severe budget restraints, unless you go the PC-Speakers route.

Richer Sounds would be a good place to go (Visit a local shop; list of stores available on the website www.richersounds.com )

You'd perhaps be looking at a cambridge audio Amp and either a pair of reasonable bookshelf speakers, or cheapest floorstanders. I would suggest get the bookshelf speakers as floorstanders wouldn't be anything but very low quality.

You'll probably find that if you knocked your budget up £50 or £100, the choice and level of quality available to you would be much better if you could afford it.

Richer Sounds vary their stock and often have in-store bargains worth looking out for.

Go in there and tell them you have £100 to spend and see what they can do. They'll probably say the same thing about £150, but I'm sure they'll be able to recommend something they have in stock within your price range.

Hope this helps,

Dan.

5. Marvt74

Marvt74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    For under £100

I'd seriously go the second hand route

6. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Marvt74's right to be honest. £100 will get you so little brand new. Probably get something much better quality second-hand.
    Quality hifi kit is built to last and you'll probably find something that's not the latest thing, but a reliable and quite good quality bit of kit that'll last.

If your budget goes higher, the brand new option may provide some lower-end bargains to be had if you look around, but probably talking about maybe £100 more.

7. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    In all honesty i dont think you will find a quality solution for £100. What i'd seriously recommend is you spend £100 or a little more on some good quality headphones.

The sound quality you will get through the headphones should be 20x better than the eqivilant in speaker budget packagaes. Sennheiser headphones sell some really great headphones around this price. However this may not suit you, it all depends whether you want to share the music or get good quality music just for yourself.

My sennheiser phones are much better than our old sony mini hi-fi, my denon 500sd and perhaps half as good as my cyrus hi-fi kit. All for £100, compare that to sony mini hi-fi's and denon all in one thats a good investment in my oppinion.

Good luck!