1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakers a good match for amp?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by harrissd, Apr 24, 2002.

1. harrissd

harrissd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer DVD737 player

I am looking at buying the Denon AVR3802 av reciever. - I have found it for £550 - seems a bargain
    I am also looking to buy some speakers - perhaps the highly rated KEF
    sub/sat package, or the Mission fs2-av pack. (later £369)

However, Are these speakers good enough to make the most of the amp, or should I look to get a less expensive amp\better speakers? Would I be wasting the amp - Ie not using it to its ful potential with these speakers?
    Or Is it a good bet at this price and can perhaps upgrade
    speakers later?

Are the KEF speakers any better than the missions, much better? (obviously the missions are less intrusive)
    Since there are seven outputs on the amp, I would like to upgrade to seven
    speakers in the future - mission sell individual ones that can be attached to the first - I assume these would be best to use as the other two speakers?
    Do KEF do the same?

Cheers for your time in advance

Duncan

2. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Where is the 3802 at £550?

On your questions I would say that you should go for "proper" speakers if you can get away with them. The Mission fs2-av are very clever and everything but will be beaten by a more traditional design on all things except looks and size.

John

3. harrissd

harrissd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only problem is : Haven't got the room for proper speakers at the moment - would like to upgrade to B & W speakers when have my own house\can afford it - 6 or CDM series

Anyone compared the mission fs2-av setup to the KEF setup?

My mistake, avr3802 is 650, getting confused with finding prices for sth else

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    both sets of speakers are a good match.. both were originally £800. the 3802 can go bigger obviously but these are fine.

demo-ed the kefs & missions together.. both very good and not much in it at all. both are excellent and will match/ beat most conventional speakers just below their price range.

the £200+ price difference on the mission side made them an obvious choice... plus being able to wall mount them would obviously be handy for you currently.

you can't plug the mission panels in directly for 6.1/7.1 by the way... you would need to buy another sub, or another set of speakers that matches the sound.. bipole missions m7/ m77ds for example.

there has already been a few threads on this if you search for fs2 and 6.1 or similar, plus a pdf file posted by me from Mission tech.