1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speakercraft BassX-12 £199.00...good deal?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Solomon Grundy, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Hi all, At the moment I have the Sony DAVS-880 home cinema system but would like more Bass...I figure that I could just do away with the Sony sub and replace it with an active sub and that would do the trick. If this will work, would the Speakercraft BassX-12 which I have seen advertised at £199 be ok?

Having just got back from getting married there isn't much in the pot but I would like to sort something out this weekend. Ideally I would like the sonic mines in Attack of the Clones to sound as close to how they did in the cinema (my Sony sub makes them sound like a gnat farting, which upsts me a bit). Cheers.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know much about DAV's but if the current sub is active then you should be able to replace it with a different type as long as it is just a subwoofer and doesn't contain some of the system electroncs like many of the All In Ones do.

If the sub is interchangeable I wouldn't bother with the Speakercraft BassX even though I have never heard of it as with a maximum budget of £200 I would buy either the Velodyne CHT 8 that AV-Sales have on special offer or else something seocnds hand.

3. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    The Sony sub isn't active. It is just a speaker in an enclosure. I take it that my plan won't work then. Any ideas on how to get better bass without replacing everything?