Speaker wiring

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jim_Fear, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi guys, just picked up a new av receiver and 5.1 speaker kit today and have finished wiring it up. Despite everything sounding fine i have a horrible feeling i've got some of the speakers wired up wrong, yet it all sounds fine from what I can hear. Are there any telltale signs of incorrectly wired speakers and what could happen if they're wired wrong? Like I said i'm unsure if anything is amiss because it all sounds fine, Pink Floyd sounds awesome comeing through on the Pulse DVD.

There are some markings on the cable but they're very hard to see.

Thanks guys.

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Those markings are the tell-tale signs you're looking for.

Keep the marked side of the cable pair as positive, take the time and do it carefully. That way you'll only have to do it once.:)

Russell

3. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    its faint gold writing on a seethrough cover against copper braided wire. Even with perfect vision its a nightmare looking for it :)

4. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    And I'll bet it cost more than the fabulous and clearly marked Van Damme Blue Studio Series at £2.50/m.

Seriously though, the writing is only on one side, so you don't have to torture your eyes by tracing it along it's entire length. I tend to mark a cable with a black felt tip if something needs making clearer. I run a biamp setup where although the cables are clearly red or black, I need to know which ones got to the HF and which ones go to the LF. It works for a simpleton like me.

Russell

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Or why not run the THX phase optimiser test that is on some DVD (ie Monsters Inc).

6. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It didn't actually, it was only 99p a meter, this was kit for my parents so they didn't want to go overboard. I've got monsters inc. so I'll have a play about tomorrow but as far as I can tell it all seems to be working so I either got it right first time round or theres something devious waiting to pop up and ruin my day, Pink Floyd sounded stunning and i'm looking forward to viewing the 2nd DVD of Pulse.