Answered Speaker wiring question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by cb95amc, Jun 18, 2019.

1. cb95amc

cb95amc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have recently moved house and the previous owner has wired up 4 places in the lounge you can attach speakers, so I am looking to take advantage and put a 5.1 system in.

However as a complete audio novice I am a little confused by how these are wired up. All 4 sockets have red and white female RCA connections. Two of them have 4 conductor cable attached (these will be front left and right), and the other two have 2 conductor cable, with one cable going to the red jack and one to the white.

How should I connect the speaker cable going to the individual speakers to the male RCA jacks. Do I connect both wires to a single jack, and then just plug them into one of the plugs on each socket? Will it matter which plug they go in? On the 4 conductor sockets should I only use the high frequency connection etc?

Any guidance greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Andy

2. Best Answer:
    Post #7 by gibbsy, Jun 18, 2019 (1 points)
  3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,407
    Without seeing a photograph (hint), it sounds very much that the previous owner had the front sockets wired for bi-amping with four banana plugs. At the input stage, ie, where the receiver or amp would be placed what colour are the cables themselves. Some people will wire red and white and then green and blue. The red and white would go to the HF and the green and blue to the LF, or vice versa.

Like this:
    NX-WP-360STR.jpg

I don't suppose you are going to bi-amp so let's deal with just one pair of connections from the fronts. It doesn't matter what pair of connections you use as long as they correspond at each end, speaker end, amp end. Let's say you use the top pair, red to red +, white to white -.

If your speakers only have two binding posts then red + to the + terminal, white - to the - terminal. Job done. If your speakers have four binding posts then connect in the same way to the bottom pair. Make sure the jumper bar between the bottom and top binding posts is in place and secure.

They are RCA connect but probably banana plug connects, that why we need a photograph.

4. cb95amc

cb95amc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for the quick response. Here is what the 4 conductor cable looks like at the receiver end IMG_20190618_183328.jpg

The two conductor cable : IMG_20190618_183346.jpg
    And the wall sockets all look like this :
    IMG_20190618_183435.jpg

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    The wall plate you show is terminated with RCA sockets - which would normally be used to connect a Source back to an Amp rather than for speaker cable.

The speaker cable ends could do with a bit of a clean up.

Four connections suggests there was no Centre speaker - though you could conceivably use two of the four conductors of one of the cables to connect to a Centre speaker.

Joe

6. cb95amc

cb95amc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can wire the centre speaker directly to the receiver as it will be mounted directly below the TV, so I can run the wires inside the same conduit I'm using for the TV power/hdmi/ethernet.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    'I can run the wires inside the same conduit I'm using for the TV power/hdmi/ethernet.' - ideally you try and avoid having mains power and low voltage cables in the same conduit!

Joe

8. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,407
    Best Answer
    Wire the centre the way that suits you. I agree with Joe the sockets are really designed for connecting equipment to an amp. CD player, streamer, etc. Unless that is the previous owner had devised a way of connecting RCA to banana or bare wire for the speakers.

Looking the wires in photo 1 I would say that it has been used for bi-amping. Don't bother bi-amping and connect up using just the cable marked LF. Make sure the HF ends are cut back to the sleeve and finished with tape so no wire strands are visible. I suggest you use Phono to banana plug cable to use from the wall socket to the speakers.

Very handy for the surrounds, no wire around the room. If needs be you could always replace the RCA covers with banana ones.

9. cb95amc

cb95amc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys, that's really helped me.

I'll probably switch out the RCA covers, as I was looking to change them to chrome versions anyway to match up with the other sockets etc.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was thrown by the use of RCA plugs!