• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker wire stripping

SteveK72

Standard Member
Are some speaker cables out there harder to strip the insulation off then others? The wire I am using is QED Micro for the rears, the insulation seems harder then some of the other cables I have seen in the past.

I have been using manual and the type that clamps down onto the insulation and the cutters are supposed to cut and strip the insulation off but they always seem to cut some of the strands of the wire too. Then I have to cut the cable and attempt to strip the insulation again as I know its not good to lose strands. At this rate I won't have enough. I be better off using scissors.

AV COM

AVForums Sponsor
Yes, the insulation on the QED Micro and Original are quite hard compared to some others. If you have a cable size selection on your stripper I'd try using a larger size, although depending on the tool this may result in not stripping it at all. The best method is often just to run a nice sharp blade around the cable then give it a bit of a wiggle and the insulation should pull off quite freely. Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom