• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker Wire Polarity???

NatD

Established Member
Morning!

I am in the middle of setting up a Denon 1909 with some Onkyo 7.1 Speakers.

I have got a load of Belkin 16 gauge speaker wire. However, this isn't coloured, so I was wondering how I kept polarity, or do I not need to worry about +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve?

The fact that the speakers and Amp have + and - signs has me confused!!!!!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
There should be a ridge one one wire although it can be hard to see.

NatD

Established Member
Hi mate - can't see any ridge, but it appears that there is printing on just one side of the cable, so will go off that!

Thanks anyway.

Lockhouse

Established Member
Either; the cable is ridged, or one side has a red line, or one side has plusses on or one side has writing on. The important thing is to make sure that you connect + to + and - to -!

:)

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The point is that, whether you see it or not, one way or another, one of the wire pairs is marked.

Typical marking methods -

1.) one wire is silver, the other wire is copper.

2.) one of the wire pair has one or more raised ridges on it.

3.) there is a line of some color on one of the wire pair.

4.) one of the wire pair will have either printed or embossed writing on it and the other wire of the pair won't.

You can be sure one of the wires is marked, you just need to determine how.

Steve/bluewizard

Failing all the above, get a multimeter and a thick black permanent marker, meter continuity and visibly mark the insulation of one core at each end.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom