Question Speaker Wire & Electrical Wire???

lettuce

Established Member
Reaction score
I have cut out a gap in the concert of my living floor for casing wires across the width of the room, i have installed 2 PVC trunking stripes (one of top of the other) in the gap on the floor, one trunking will have Twin and Earth power cable to power a twin wall socket and the other trunking will have my speaker cable in (Fisual S-Flex Studio Grade 2x2.5mm).

Would i get any interference on the speaker cable as its running near the electrical wire at all?

I have cut out a gap in the concert of my living floor for casing wires across the width of the room, i have installed 2 PVC trunking stripes (one of top of the other) in the gap on the floor, one trunking will have Twin and Earth power cable to power a twin wall socket and the other trunking will have my speaker cable in (Fisual S-Flex Studio Grade 2x2.5mm).

Would i get any interference on the speaker cable as its running near the electrical wire at all?

I'm no electrical engineer but seem to remember being told if power and speaker/data/analog cable cross it should be at right angles.
Running in parallel is not a good idea although run in separate trunking I dont think you will have a problem picking up Interference as they are speaker level not line level cables.

If it's a subwoofer cable then I would not do it without around 150-200mm gap as you would almost definitely have some hum etc.

You won't know for sure until you try.

Thanks for the replies. Damn that could be an issue then, It didn't even cross my mind when i was cutting the floor that the 2 types of cables could be an issue. I will indeed be separating the 2 by putting each in a separate trunking but this is only the general white pvc trunking you get in diy shops and are stacked on top of each other so at best will be approx 3cm gap between each wire type. Would getting a thicker or thinner gauge speaker wire cut down on the possibility of interference?. Should note this is only for the 2 surround speakers.

I did also want to run my cat 5 ethernet cable down one of these trunking also but sound like that might cause issues as well??

Cat5 will be fine.

Speaker cable will probably be ok too it's just not best practice

What about a HMDI cable lol?.

Before i had reservations about the 3 core power cable causing interference with the speakers i was going to be running the,

power cable
2 Speakers cables
HDMI
Cat5 cable

through these 2 PVC trunking. Im guessing it would be best to have just the Power cable in the bottom trunking and then the speaker, CAT5 and HDMI in the top trunking?

I got some Fisual S-Flex 2.5mm cable today and this stuff is super high quality and seems well insulated...to the point where im wondering if its overkill for my Wharfedale DX-1 4ohms speakers!?

Long HDMI is marginal at the best of times. Running next to power can be enough to trip it over the edge.

If you must run HDMI next to power the best solution is an optical fibre cable. These are immune to interference

Mains will NOT interfere at all with a speaker cable. You could probably wrap the mains cable around the speaker cable and I doubt the inductance would be high enough to form an audible circuit. Certainly running them side by side would not be an issue.

HDMI is a different matter. Keep 6" separation and use the best screened cable you can find. What you may find is that when an appliance switches on and off, the "spike" on the mains is enough to cause momentary dropout on the HDMI.

Ethernet won't be a problem. The signal is sent as a balanced line signal, so is fairly immune to interference. I think HDBaseT should also be similarly immune to problems.

Also, mains regulations state that mains should be in its own containment, so keep the cable in the one containment and the rest in the other.

Ok thanks

Is that the same for the latest HDMI version 2.1?.

The mains power cable i have laid is purely for the wall socket that will be powering the devices in my entertainment unit anyway so that should be left on all time and wont get turned on and off

Its the HDCP bit of HDMI that does not like mains spikes, as the signal is balanced line and fairly immune to interference. You may be OK if the mains feed is just to the socket, as the interference present will be less.

Yeah the power line is just going to a double plug socket which i will be installing into the living room wall.

Ok one other cable i may need (sorry about this) is an aerial coaxial cable, would that get any interference from any of these cables (HDMI, power, speaker, CAT5)?.

I think im going to run out of space in the top trunking so i might have to have either the CAT5 or/and the aerial cable in the same trunking as the power cable, as these are low to no voltage cables would these be ok placed in the same trunking as the power cable?

Thanks for the help!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom