1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker wire conversion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by darronwindrunne, Oct 27, 2003.

1. darronwindrunne

darronwindrunne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post hope i dont make a complete fool of myself...

Bought a Dvd player from Richer sounds becuase it was Multiregion and played VCD/SVCD.. exatcly what I wanted for a good price.

Then I bought my new TV 32" Samsung which came with a DVD player and surround sound speakers. Great!

So I thought i would relegate my Richer sounds DVD to the kids room and use the free Samsung dvd with the TV.

Turns out that alhough it plays mutil-region after a hack it does not seem to support VCD format. (Samsung HT-DB120 btw)

Not too much of a problem I thought, I will use the Richer sounds DVD (Acoustic solutions) and just plug the Surround speakers into that.. well therein lies my problem

The connections at the end of the speaker wires are small one inch by half an inch 'blocks' with +/- symbols on it. The connections at the back of the accoustic solutions DVD are basic phono plugs.

Is there anyway to convert the 'block' connection to Phono plugs?

Or would it be cheaper to buy 6 new sets of wire?

Thanks in advance..

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you post further info regarding model numbers for the T.V, DVD and speakers etc.

From what you describe you are trying to connect the speakers directly to the DVD player?? Is that correct?

AFAIA the only DVD players that allow direct speaker connections are those with an inbuilt amp - of which there aren't many (pioneer or panasonic make one IIRC).

Normally the speakers are connected to an AV AMP (or possibly in your case the T.V if T.V supports surround sound or whatever), the DVD is connect to the AV amp via the Digital interface (either optical or co-ax) the TV is connected to the DVD player either by an S-Video or SCART cable (depending on the DVD player connections on the back).

The Phono sockets on the DVD player normally connect to a aux phono connection on the AV amp.

someone will no doubt be along soon with more info, but from what you descibe you also need an AV amp to.

regards
    Gary

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It sounds like the player you got with the TV has an integrated amplifier And the RS unit is a pure DVD player, you will need a separate AV amp to run the speakers from the RS player unless you just want to use the TV with its own speakers?

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Doh! Spent too long chucking my spuling.:rotfl:

5. darronwindrunne

darronwindrunne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung DVD does come with in build amp as ive had it running and its deffiantly 5.1.

I think the acoustic solutions one also may have becuase it has seprate plugs for left rear, right rear, etc..

So if this is true.. is there a way to convert the cable or?

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If it was the Acoustic solutions DVD421 this is a dedicated DVD player, the outputs L, R , C, etc are so you can plug into a 5.1 input of an AV amplifier, They will not drive speakers directly, unless the speakers are active.

7. darronwindrunne

darronwindrunne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Acoustic Solutions DVD651
    SILVER (Multi-region)

It does state in the description that it has a digital decoder..

Is that correct?

8. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Yes, onboard decoding is present. No you cannot plug speakers into the phono sockets. Theses are to plug into an amp with six channel inputs instead of an optical or digital input. You will then be using the DVD players internal decoding. You will need a seperate amplifier to use these outputs.:)

9. darronwindrunne

darronwindrunne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i can connect the DVD to an Amp via co-ax or Optical?

The all i have to do is connect speakers and im away?

Also.. what is the point of the DVD having onboard decoding if you have to buy and amp anyways?

Thanks in advance

10. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Early Pro Logic amplifiers can't decode Dolby Digital or DTS signals but many came with a six channel input that could accept and amplify a signal that had already been decoded within the DVD player.

DVD players with integral decoders were fairly common a few years ago, as were Pro Logic amps with six channel inputs.

If you buy an amp you can connect the DVD player to it by co-axial or optical cable and the speakers will be connected to the amp.

12. darronwindrunne

darronwindrunne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So in Laymans terms..

The DVD does all the decoding and the amp simply powers the speakers and thats it?

Think thats right..

So I assume amps that provide power as the one above would be cheaper and thats where the bonus of on-board DVD decoding comes in?

If i was to buy one of these do you think it would provide any problems if i upgrade to sky? ie no 5.1 from the sky box as the only thing thats decoding is the DVD