speaker wire connectors?

keyser

Standard Member
Reaction score
Currently I have all my speakers wires connected just by twisint the wire, but I have been told that open wires can oxidise over time and that could result in worse sound. Anything to this?

If so, can the pinny type connecters(banana plugs don´t fit my speakers and not my amp) that I could twist the wires around be connected to all amp connectors(say a Denon 3803)

I have the Denon 3803, Definitive tech´s BP2006 fronts 2003 center and BP2X surrounds+BP1.5X back surround.

The Denon 3803 can take banana plugs. the ends of the binding posts are covered with thin plastic bungs that can be removed with a small screwdriver. Many speakers also have these plastic bungs that can be removed.
Speaker cables can oxadise over time. To prevent this cut the bare wire to a minimum and make sure none is visable when the cable is attached to the speaker/amp. If the air can't get to the cable it can't oxadise it.

Mark.

My 3803 can´t take banana plugs, I´ve heard some models can, but my bungs are stuck. The BPx´s can take banana plugs though, but not the 2006. I´ll probably buy thin pinny type ends for the amp end.

Where can I order nice cheap cables(maybe even with those type of ends) on the web?

I've just connected banana plugs into my Denon 3801. The bungs in the posts can be removed by screwing the connectors fully home and then using a flat headed precision / jewellers screwdriver (the smaller the better) or a thin bladed craft knife. It is fiddly but possible.

If you have a 3803, the chances are that the denon warranty is still valid (2 years in th UK). If you are unsuccessful with this method, I would suggest that there is a defect with the connectors in which case, take it back to the dealers and have the remove the bungs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom