speaker volume

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by adc2000974, Aug 23, 2003.

1. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All.

I have the Denon AVR1803 I have had it since Jan 03.
    It seems that i am still learning about it.
    Here are my questions

1)

Each Speaker Channel on the 1803 has a volume toggle, ranges from -12db to +12db, i used to have it +12db each channel thinking it would give me greater volume and wattage, excluding the drawback of snr and harnomic distoration. (from what i believe)
    Is that true?

2)

Is it true that if i take the volume down to e.g. -6db for each speaker it would give me greater frequency range?

I would love some clear-up on that one thanks.

Regards
    Adam C

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,934
    The Channel Levels are there so you can balance each one with a Sound Meter to 75db to get accurate movie playback. If you don't have a Sound Meter then you would need to balance them by ear (not as accurate but betting than doing nothing). Just start the Test Tone and as it moves from channel to channel adjust the levels so that they all match each other in volume (or as near to each other as possible).

Make sure you have also set the correct speaker delay distances and speaker sizes. Generally all speakers set to small and all bass routed to the sub works well.

Whacking all channel levels up to +12db will not give you greater output/wattage, the amp has a maximum and cannot exceed it. The amp has a maximum volume setting of +18db (or something similar) if the channel levels are set at 0db or any negative setting (-2db, -3db, etc etc). Setting the levels to +12db will usually restrict the maximum volume setting to +6db i.e 18-12 = 6. Maximum volume output will still be the same in each case.

Reducing the channel levels to -6db will not give you greater Frequency Range either.

3. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0