1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Volume

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Carnagerover, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Carnagerover

Carnagerover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Hi there,

I have a quick question that i'm sure someone here will be able to answer quickly,

Should all you 5.1 speakers be the same volume or should some of them be a bit louder, i.e. center speaker, i have the fronts and the center at the same level i have to turn my center to -4 and my fronts to 0. I have my rears on +2 because my room is small and the fronts sometimes drown out the rears

any ideas would be welcome

thanks guys

Stu

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stud if it sounds good to you then it is probably better that way but the only real way to make sure you have the right levels would be to purchase a SPL meter, that way you know all the speakers are set correctly.
    If you are not that bothered and it sounds good stick with it, it won't do any harm to the speakers. ;)

John :)

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, I'm not too sure about this one - but what works for me (well, seems to!) is thaty I have them all the same volume - the rears are only for effects anyway...

but saying that, on a few films I've watched, I've had to turn up the centre speaker volume...

4. Pikman

Pikman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely it also depends on your sitting position in relation to the distance to each speaker.

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you put in the correct distances from you to the speakers and use a sound meter to check the seat you are in is capable of hearing the same volume from each. You will have a base to start making adjustments to allow for enjoyment of sound being subjective