1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by phil1db, Oct 21, 2005.

1. phil1db

phil1db
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Linn Classik biamped with a Linn lk140 to Kef35.2 floor standing loudspeakers.
    Any suggestions on a possible floorstanding speaker upgrade with a max budget of £1000 ?
    My main musical tastes are jazz,rock and folk and the room is approx 21' by 13 1/2 ' (and luckily the house is detached !)
    cheers
    Phil

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Have a listen to the Motive 1 from Neat. They are very impressive.
    Might be a bit out of your budget at £1200 but Im sure they would do a deal.
    I cant comment on any of the other speakers in the motive range as I have only heard the 1.

If you scroll down the page you can get a bit of blurb on them. They won the award for best stereo demonstration by the BFA at Bristol. What they dont say is that NEAT are not members of this particular society so that makes it an even more noteworthy achievement. They are doing demos around the country shortly, so get yourself a listen and see if they do what you want.

http://www.neat.co.uk/p_pages/newsletter.php

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Castle Conway 3s
    Castle Stirling 3s
    Castle Harlech S2s
    Quad 21/22s

Have heard lots of positive vibes from Classik - Castle-Quad owners.

Conversely add a pair of Katans (sound lovely with the Classik) in tandem with a £500 subwoofer (would be my first bet with a Classik).

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I rather like the PMC GB1 compact floorstanders at about £1,000 and feel that they should definately be on your short list.

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    You could get some ex dem Monitor Audio GR20's for a grand or less. I'm not too familiar with your Linn kit so couldn't say if they are a good match but they are fab sounding speakers and I think they're a steal at the price!

6. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Be interesting to demo those against the Motive 1. Would be interesting to get another point of view as they are both a compact floorstander and around the same price.

8. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    What are you trying to achieve with the new speakers? Clearly you have a load of money burning a whole in your pocket, but understanding your needs is pretty important first.
    To explain myself, if you think you're system is lacking, could well be your front end. The Classik is a wonderful all in one system (heard one, liked it), but once you start moving up market it's shortcomings will come through. You might be better looking at a replacement CDP and pre amp. Changing the speakers is a fine idea, but remember the old addage "garbage in, garbage out".

9. phil1db

phil1db
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good points !
    I have had a Classik for about 5 years and love it ! Recently upgraded this
    with a Linn LK140 after moving . I have also had the Kef speakers for the same 5 year period.
    I was just wondering with the upgrade and bi-amping I have done on the front end would benefit from a speaker upgrade . I am using k400 Linn speaker cable.
    I did ring Kef when I was biamping and they (or the individual who answered the phone) suggested I would not get much improvement from biamping the Classik and LK140 over the Classik alone due to the limitations of the Kef 35.2
    speakers .
    Since bi-amping the system sounds amazing- the Classik is wonderful but linked to the LK140 power amp it is even better.
    The money is not in my pocket yet-I'm saving hard !!!!!
    cheers
    Phil

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Whilst a lot of that is true,phil1db has already biamped his Classik with another Linn amp,and the Classik,whilst an all-in-one device does offer a good deal more flexibility than most,as well as sounding pretty good,as you've said.

Changing the whole system,even by beginning with a CD player is going to be an expensive route,and eventually means getting rid of the Classik.

If thats what he's prepared to do,then obviously he should look to other components,but in the meantime,taking a look at some of Linn's speakers may also be worthwhile,as they generally complement Linn electronics well(as you'd hope)....the Ninka and Katan will both fit into your price range,and would be worth looking at.