Speaker Upgrade

The review here of the Cardea gave them "Best Value" award at 3.5k. That deal looks pretty sweet.

Anyone heard these? Great discount at Peter Tyson. I would imagine they’re simillar to the Cardea 10 that Paul posted earlier in the thread

I do love money off
I'd be very tempted to order these and try them, they can be returned if you prefer one of the other 2 you're auditioning. Shame that Tysons don't seem to do Dynaudio.

Last edited:
The review here of the Cardea gave them "Best Value" award at 3.5k. That deal looks pretty sweet.
They also said the following about the Special 40. It's a tough decision which ones to try first as I'm pretty sure I will like both so the first ones I buy I'll probably keep and not try the other one. I'm leaning towards the Special 40

"If you are looking to spend anywhere near this sum of money on a speaker however, I don’t know of anything near the price I would rather have and for this reason, this exceptional speaker is unquestionably a Best Buy.""

Last edited:
I'd also add that in my experience when I audition I have frequently come away with something that was different to what I thought I wanted :)

The S40’s arrived today and I managed to get them set up about half hour ago and play 5 songs before the Mrs berated me for waking our child up and demanded I turn it off until the morning..very insensitive of her if you ask me.

Ive currently got them 2M apart and about 50cm out from the back wall, with a slight toe-in. Both subs off and no Room Perfect set up on the Lyngdorf. I played an Amos Lee, Miles Davis, Pink Floyd and Bill Withers track. Mix of streaming and Vinyl.

Due to child in bed and moaning Mrs I had to play at low volumes.

Very impressed thus far. The top and mid range is Uber sweet on these. Imaging and sound stage even at low levels is spot on. The High-hats and cymbals on the Miles Davis track were like nothing I’ve heard before. I think I’m going to love these bad boys, even more so with Room Perfecf and subs dialled-in and some tinkering with the toe-in, etc. The bass is slightly less than I’m used to but that’s probably due to the fact at that I’ve been running two subs for the last 7 months. Plus at the levels I was playing at it’s hard to get a real feeling for the bass. They’re also extremely attractive little feckers, which is also a bonus

More self indulgent updates to follow once I’ve had more time with them. I’m taking Friday off work and will get the room correction and subs dialled in.

I loved my LS50’s they’re a wonderful speaker but I can already tell these are better (to my ears anyway) and I don’t even have subs and RP running yet. Happy days!!

Last edited:
Excellent news Andy. I’m looking forward to a full report.

I’ll have tea and biscuits in standby.

Excellent news Andy. I’m looking forward to a full report.

I’ll have tea and biscuits in standby.

I’ll keep you fully abreast of progress Paul, fear not 😉😂

What finish did you go for?
I really liked the grey birch finish which they sadly discontinued.

Glad you like them Andy. It only gets better from here. Especially if you can pack the wife and kid off somewhere and crank it up a bit.

What finish did you go for?
I really liked the grey birch finish which they sadly discontinued.
Black Vine as I have similar colour wooden floors

Last edited:
That's a lovely finish.
I'm sure & hope they give you years of great listening.

I’m a big fan of the grey too.

Now, if only they were floorstanders...

😍

F43299AE-0D77-47EB-B0A7-1F34E135E68F.jpeg

What about these?

Attachments

• 032219-AMA-600.jpg
    032219-AMA-600.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 67
Glad you like them Andy. It only gets better from here. Especially if you can pack the wife and kid off somewhere and crank it up a bit.
As a fellow Special Forties owner I can only echo this - I know the jury's out regarding speaker run-in, but for me it's definitely a thing and I'd say more of a thing with Dynaudios than any other speaker I've owned.
In fact I've seen sites where folks claim it's 200 hours before they give of their best.
You can pretty much guarantee that if you're happy after a day then you'll be one happy camper this time next month as they'll only get better.

As a fellow Special Forties owner I can only echo this - I know the jury's out regarding speaker run-in, but for me it's definitely a thing and I'd say more of a thing with Dynaudios than any other speaker I've owned.
In fact I've seen sites where folks claim it's 200 hours before they give of their best.
You can pretty much guarantee that if you're happy after a day then you'll be one happy camper this time next month as they'll only get better.
I was prepared for the run it, some people are saying as much as 400 hours. I love them already so it bodes well for post run-in!

I was prepared for the run it, some people are saying as much as 400 hours. I love them already so it bodes well for post run-in!
Takes about 10 hours for the speakers and an unknown amount of time for your brain to adjust to the new sound.

400 hours means you really loved your old system. :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom