Speaker Upgrade

And a link to a build using a Hypex Fusion FA122

If you are in not major hurry, I’d wait until you see speakers appear with the new PuriFi drive units. All bass cones have harmonic distortion so say a 200Hz signal will be accompanied by a 100Hz and 400Hz harmonic. These new drive units will virtually eliminate this problem.

The 6.5” PuriFi drive unit is supposed to be able to provide the same output and bass as a 12” but without the harmonic distortion!

This should make some ground-breaking new speaker possible………
I'm not a patient man so I won't be able to wait. I'll have the money in the next 2-6 weeks so will purchase then.

I'm definitely going to stick with stand mounts and try and audition a few before buying.

I'm not a patient man so I won't be able to wait. I'll have the money in the next 2-6 weeks so will purchase then.

I'm definitely going to stick with stand mounts and try and audition a few before buying.

I know what you mean.

I’m pretty sure any new speakers with the magic drivers will be quite exceptional.

But when?

‘Soon’, or ‘maybe this year’, is no good to a fellow with cash now.

Agreed. I'm hoping we see some appear this autumn as the drive units have been available for sometime and getting a speaker to market doesn't have the same challenges with certification etc. as electronics.

Agreed. I'm hoping we see some appear this autumn as the drive units have been available for sometime and getting a speaker to market doesn't have the same challenges with certification etc. as electronics.

I’m certainly looking forward to seeing them and I can only imagine they’ll be quite superb, and even more so with the Lyngdorf amps and RP.

I’ve been reading up on the drivers and the company, it’s all fascinating stuff (perhaps I should get out more) and if half the claims are well founded then I’m expecting great things.

Its rare there is new technology that really improves sound quality but I have faith in PuriFi and think their amps and speakers will really move the goal posts..... I cant wait and also need to get out more.......

I am the proud owner of a pair of Spendor A7s these are beautiful elegant floor standers which were a Christmas present to myself last year.
I cannot see myself being in the market for anything to replace them for sometime, if ever...... However I did read Eds review of those Kudos C10s not long ago & I did allow a little sigh from within.

I am currently running Kef LS50’s with 2 x REL T5i subs being driven by Lyngdorf 1120. My listening is split down the middle between streaming and vinyl (Technics SL1500C), with the odd CD (Rotel CD11) thrown in. I’ve never been happier with the system. It sounds wonderful but as is the nature of this beast I am planning to upgrade the speakers next. This will be the final upgrade for some time.

If all goes to plan I should have dedicated listening room in my converted detached garage by the end of the year. It’s a 5 x 5m space and will be reasonably sparsely furnished at first anyway. So any purchase will have this in space in-mind.

I want to go down the stand mount route as I am quite partial to subs and the integration using Room Perfect is absolutely spot on.

I’m a huge fan of the LS50, the midrange is wonderful, the sound stage and imaging are also first rate when driven by the 1120 so any upgrade would need to have these attributes. And would need to be an audible improvement on the LS50’s.

My budget is around £2,700 and based on what I have read I’m leaning towards the Dynaudio Special 40’s. What other speakers would anyone suggest in a room of that size with amp and sources listed above?

I wouldn’t completely write off looking at floor standers but they would need to offer the same level of detail and bass as £2.7k stand mounts and 2 x Rel subs. As I would sell the 2, T5i’s if going down that route the budget would be £3.2k for floor standers.

I will of course audition the speakers I short-list but am interested in peoples opinions, especially those who have the listed amp/sources.
You could have look at (or better a listen to) the QAcoustics Concept 300s. I also have 2 REL subs that I use with them.

Not using 1120 yet, though I plan to audition soon, I'm running DSP & Dirac at the moment. I have a pair of LS50 too that I use nearfield now, for which they are great.

I'm not sure they are better than the Special 40, but they are very nice and different to the LS50 - the sparkly highs are absent, but there is plenty of detail and no fatigue from longer sessions. I love my LS50s but after 60-90 minutes my ears (brain?) hurts from the treble. Not so with the 300s. Bass is very tight and clean, soundstage is much better than the LS50.

I wouldn't use them without subs, but with subs and Roomperfect they might be worth a listen.

For interest's sake where do you live?

You could have look at (or better a listen to) the QAcoustics Concept 300s. I also have 2 REL subs that I use with them.

Not using 1120 yet, though I plan to audition soon, I'm running DSP & Dirac at the moment. I have a pair of LS50 too that I use nearfield now, for which they are great.

I'm not sure they are better than the Special 40, but they are very nice and different to the LS50 - the sparkly highs are absent, but there is plenty of detail and no fatigue from longer sessions. I love my LS50s but after 60-90 minutes my ears (brain?) hurts from the treble. Not so with the 300s. Bass is very tight and clean, soundstage is much better than the LS50.

I wouldn't use them without subs, but with subs and Roomperfect they might be worth a listen.

For interest's sake where do you live?
HiGava,

It's interesting you mention the QAcoustics 300's as i watched a YouTube video yesterday where they were compared H2H with the Special 40. The reviewer ultimately preferred the Special 40 but said there wasn't much in it and was complimentary about the 300's.

I live in Bexleyheath which is the SE London suburbs.

When I was considering them I listened to these two youtube reviews which made me think it was worth giving them a trial:

They seemed to measure pretty well too.

I have no idea whether there are better options at the price but I don't there is any doubt that they are pretty good speakers and might be to your taste. I didn't listen to the Special 40s, but there seems to be universal agreement they are excellent, their bass is almost certainly better than the C300s, going down to 41Hz instead of 55Hz, but as I always planned to be using them with sub(s) I thought I would try the C300s first and decided to keep them.

I live in Ealing, West London, quick trip if out of peak hours - perhaps on a Sunday morning or Saturday afternoon? So as I'm interested in the 1120 and if you were interested in hearing the 300s we could flip a coin and loser travels. We could then have a couple of hours of in-home testing to both our benefit?

Last edited:
I live in Ealing, West London, quick trip if out of peak hours - perhaps on a Sunday morning or Saturday afternoon? So as I'm interested in the 1120 and if you were interested in hearing the 300s we could flip a coin and loser travels. We could then have a couple of hours of in-home testing to both our benefit?
I'd be up for that in theory. I work in Pinner, West London I'm there 3 days a week so might be better to do it on one of those days. I'll drop you a PM to discuss.

Anyone heard these? Great discount at Peter Tyson. I would imagine they’re simillar to the Cardea 10 that Paul posted earlier in the thread

I do love money off 😂

Obviously audition is good, but there are probably not many awful speakers in this price range, especially when combined with dual subs and Roomperfect.

My only concern for you is that they might not sound enough better than the LS50s to make you feel like it was worth the money.

The LS50s were 2k speakers when they were launched and given great acclaim at that price.

In fact I'd venture to say that if you want a good crossover for where diminishing returns start to set in, then the LS50s would be a pretty good point to drop that marker.

Ooh. I would.
Apparently they’re the same as the cardea 10 but can be active speakers.

mom ready to buy in the next day or two bit am leaning towards the special 40’s solely based on the fact that I coveted them for a while. I’ll look at home trialing both. But am pretty sure I’d be happy with either of the two

Last edited:
Obviously audition is good, but there are probably not many awful speakers in this price range, especially when combined with dual subs and Roomperfect.

My only concern for you is that they might not sound enough better than the LS50s to make you feel like it was worth the money.

The LS50s were 2k speakers when they were launched and given great acclaim at that price.

In fact I'd venture to say that if you want a good crossover for where diminishing returns start to set in, then the LS50s would be a pretty good point to drop that marker.
To be honest that is a fear of mine. That I’ll spend all that extra money and the improvement will not be what I expected.

i was initially just going to upgrade to the Meta’s .. at far less cost !!

It was the active LS50s that were £2000 sir. The passives, which Andy has, were £1000.

To be honest that is a fear of mine. That I’ll spend all that extra money and the improvement will not be what I expected.

i was initially just going to upgrade to the Meta’s .. at far less cost !!

That would be sidegrade in comparison.

I’m certain the Metas add something to the sound, but not enough to make them Special 40s or Kudos Cardeas.

That would be sidegrade in comparison.

I’m certain the Metas add something to the sound, but not enough to make them Special 40s or Kudos Cardeas.
I’ve made the decision and will
Definitely be buying/demoing one of those two in the next few days.

Good luck. Enjoy your demo. They both sound like they will be wonderful.
That is always the part I liked best, especially that moment if you were lucky & you just know!!!

I’m looking forward to hearing what you think Andy 👍

Also, I’m well jelly. As the kids might once have said.

I’ve made the decision and will
Definitely be buying/demoing one of those two in the next few days.
Also looking forward to your views. Might be useful to have a 30 day return option just in case you fall in love at the demo but they don't work in your room.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom