Speaker Upgrade

andycc72

I am currently running Kef LS50’s with 2 x REL T5i subs being driven by Lyngdorf 1120. My listening is split down the middle between streaming and vinyl (Technics SL1500C), with the odd CD (Rotel CD11) thrown in. I’ve never been happier with the system. It sounds wonderful but as is the nature of this beast I am planning to upgrade the speakers next. This will be the final upgrade for some time.

If all goes to plan I should have dedicated listening room in my converted detached garage by the end of the year. It’s a 5 x 5m space and will be reasonably sparsely furnished at first anyway. So any purchase will have this in space in-mind.

I want to go down the stand mount route as I am quite partial to subs and the integration using Room Perfect is absolutely spot on.

I’m a huge fan of the LS50, the midrange is wonderful, the sound stage and imaging are also first rate when driven by the 1120 so any upgrade would need to have these attributes. And would need to be an audible improvement on the LS50’s.

My budget is around £2,700 and based on what I have read I’m leaning towards the Dynaudio Special 40’s. What other speakers would anyone suggest in a room of that size with amp and sources listed above?

I wouldn’t completely write off looking at floor standers but they would need to offer the same level of detail and bass as £2.7k stand mounts and 2 x Rel subs. As I would sell the 2, T5i’s if going down that route the budget would be £3.2k for floor standers.

I will of course audition the speakers I short-list but am interested in peoples opinions, especially those who have the listed amp/sources.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
There are very few floorstanders that can stand comparison with a pair of subs for depth and impact Andy.

Especially as yours are going to be corner boosted and room tuned by RP.

(Whilst RP does a great job without subs, once you’ve heard what it does with even one of them, going back to none is difficult indeed).

And the Kefs, as you know by experience, are something quite special.

But, as ever, more cash can buy better.

Have a read of this.

Then this.

New, 5 year guarantee and a thousand pounds off.

This is where my money would go.

Last edited:

andycc72

There are very few floorstanders that can stand comparison with a pair of subs for depth and impact Andy.

Especially as yours are going to be corner boosted and room tuned by RP.

(Whilst RP does a great job without subs, once you’ve heard what it does with even one of them, going back to none is difficult indeed).

And the Kefs, as you know by experience, are something quite special.

But, as ever, more cash can buy better.

Have a read of this.

Then this.

New, 5 year guarantee and a thousand pounds off.

This is where my money would go.
Thanks Paul just read the review, they will definitely go on the shortlist, although would Peter Tyson allow me to demo them at home?

DT79

I can attest that Special 40s are great and will work a treat with the Lyngdorf. I’d love to hear the Kudos as well though.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I’m sure the R3s would be different, and better.

Good three way speakers are impressive indeed.

But I’m not certain they’d be a major upgrade.

And I’m not certain either that bigger subs would be a great deal of use.

The point of RP is that it can make subs go lower, and louder by utilising boundary amplification and removing all the usual timing and reflection and node problems that corner placement usually entails.

So for music especially, I’d not change the subs. I’d be astonished if the Rels don’t hit 30Hz (possibly lower at usual listening levels) very close to zero dB in the corners. And lower by a good bit at -3dB

I’d simply spend every penny I could get my hands on buying better, by a good margin, speakers, and I’m certain the Kudos are better. By a big chunk.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Thanks Paul just read the review, they will definitely go on the shortlist, although would Peter Tyson allow me to demo them at home?

They have a 30 day return policy Andy, so that wouldn’t be a problem.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
And, finally, you might consider a cheeky offer for these wondrous works of art.

Quite possibly all the speaker any one might ever need.

And you’ll pull 97% more chicks because they are Sonus Fabers.

About an hour and a half drive for a listen but, I’d bet, very much worth it.

andycc72

Something else to consider too.

Though I’m not sure how you’d get a chance to hear them first...?
I know it's slightly silly but when spending that sort of money I'm wary about buying used. Even though I understand it's how I would get the most bang for my buck. Also if I didn't gel with them I could sell them on for small or no loss.

andycc72

And, finally, you might consider a cheeky offer for these wondrous works of art.

Quite possibly all the speaker any one might ever need.

And you’ll pull 97% more chicks because they are Sonus Fabers.

About an hour and a half drive for a listen but, I’d bet, very much worth it.
They do look very sexy indeed. I'll be ready to pull the trigger in 2-4 weeks (waiting on some money) if they're still available then I might just do that...

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
They do look very sexy indeed. I'll be ready to pull the trigger in 2-4 weeks (waiting on some money) if they're still available then I might just do that...

Most absolutely definitely worth a serious consideration.

DT79

I know it's slightly silly but when spending that sort of money I'm wary about buying used. Even though I understand it's how I would get the most bang for my buck. Also if I didn't gel with them I could sell them on for small or no loss.
On which subject…

andycc72

I saw them on here and on the The Wam. I won’t be in a position to buy for another few weeks yet, by which stage they’ll probably be gone.

password1

Distinguished Member
Something else to consider too.

Though I’m not sure how you’d get a chance to hear them first...?
Dali offer 20% discount on the Epicon range from authorised Dali dealers but it's still expensive and out of reach for most people.

Perhaps have a look at the much more affordable Rubicons, the poor man's Epicon.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Dali offer 20% discount on the Epicon range from authorised Dali dealers but it's still expensive and out of reach for most people.

Perhaps have a look at the much more affordable Rubicons, the poor man's Epicon.

I’m certain the Rubicons are very good. But I’m also certain that the Epicon are something else altogether.

20% discount is very useful indeed.

I’m absolutely certain that the stupidly expensive bespoke stands are not at all necessary too, so that makes them a bit closer to budget.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you are in not major hurry, I’d wait until you see speakers appear with the new PuriFi drive units. All bass cones have harmonic distortion so say a 200Hz signal will be accompanied by a 100Hz and 400Hz harmonic. These new drive units will virtually eliminate this problem.

The 6.5” PuriFi drive unit is supposed to be able to provide the same output and bass as a 12” but without the harmonic distortion!

This should make some ground-breaking new speaker possible………

rccarguy2

I've bought many second hand speakers, no problems at all.

I'd keep your subs and just replace LS50 with high end floorstanders, but you're probably looking at £3000 plus, but if you buy second hand you'll get much better speakers for your money.

Best deal I got was RRP £900 speakers for £145. 99% near mint condition with a couple of very very light scratches.

rccarguy2

If the bass is taken care or correctly there should be no benefit switching from a good stand mount speaker for a floor stander.

The old standmount +sub versus floorstander thing.

Guess since op has amp which does room eq, still I prefer high quality floorstanders if your room fits them.

More dynamic and higher efficiency and output

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The main benefit of floor standers is that the bigger box and extra drive unit provide more bass.

If you already have great bass there is no benefit moving from the same range of bookshelf speakers to a floor stander. It looks more impressive and is much more profitable to sell but technically it offers no benefit that I'm aware of.

rccarguy2

The main benefit of floor standers is that the bigger box and extra drive unit provide more bass.

If you already have great bass there is no benefit moving from the same range of bookshelf speakers to a floor stander. It looks more impressive and is much more profitable to sell but technically it offers no benefit that I'm aware of.

Disagree with that, I own standmount and floorstanders.

Baron Mole

f you are in not major hurry, I’d wait until you see speakers appear with the new PuriFi drive units. All bass cones have harmonic distortion so say a 200Hz signal will be accompanied by a 100Hz and 400Hz harmonic. These new drive units will virtually eliminate this problem.

The 6.5” PuriFi drive unit is supposed to be able to provide the same output and bass as a 12” but without the harmonic distortion!

This should make some ground-breaking new speaker possible………
I've been following this development. For anyone who's interested why this is groundbreaking here's a link to the 6.5 unit
Purifi PTT6.5

and it's created a lot of interest on diyaudio - here's a couple of links to builds
Simple Passive Harsch XO Using PTT6.5 and RS28F in a Waveguide - diyAudio

RAAL 70-20xr and PTT6.5 Compact TL - diyAudio

I agree that it could be ground-breaking but when commercially available speakers will be available is anyones guess - probably gives me a few years to save up for some :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components