Speaker upgrade.

Hilts100

Standard Member
After dragging my old speakers and turntable from the loft I managed to find a good deal on an open box Marantz PM6006. I'm using my Ariston Q deck to listen to my old records and a Chromecast Audio through the amp. The speakers are my 35 year old Mordaunt Short MS25ti and sound pretty good with the amp but a just too bright so looking to get some new or Second hand speakers.
I am looking a around a £500 budget. Probably leaning towards bookshelf mainly because the listening room is just the spare room that is 3.5 x 3.2 meters but not ruling out floor standing just think I could get better bookshelf with the budget I have.
How about these :-

KEF Q350
Monitor Audio Silver 50
Dali Zensor 3
B & W 685 S2
B&W CM1

Obviously I need speakers that will match the amp and that the amp can power and not sure if these would be ok.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Pound for pound, I’d agree standmounters are the better value especially in the budget range you’re looking at.

I think I’d try second hand and save a bit of cash perhaps?

The Marantz, whilst being of sterling quality at that price range, is no powerhouse.

With that in mind you might want to consider a speaker that’s an easier than average load; hence this suggestion.

Rega RS1 Loudspeakers - Cherry wood finish | eBay

I owned a pair of these a few years ago and they are an excellent and perky speaker. They have a surprisingly adept and grown up sound.

Then there are these. A stonking bargain, with a new Rega warranty.

Rega RS3 loudspeakers in Cherry finish. Ex-demonstration. Full Rega Warranty | eBay

They are more petite than they look in the photos, but sound quite big and expressive. They won’t dominate the room.

Last edited:

Southern soul

There are some mint condition PMC DB1i's in black for sale on eBay at the moment which would be a great choice (£599) or maybe some KEF R100's which you could pick up under £400 used.

Hilts100

Standard Member
Thanks for the ideas. Just a bit concerned with the power of the PM6006 and don't and don't want to get speakers that the amp isn't going to drive them to there potential. Am I right in saying that the higher the impedance the easier they are to drive?

Southern soul

They are a slightly harder load but unless you are going to really push them then they should be fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom