Speaker upgrade time? (from PMC GB1i)

You're very welcome.

Just be careful that you don't plug your Oppo straight into your Bryston (no attenuators) and play any music with your Oppo set at full volume!

I don't know if these are any good or not, but they look interesting as they have a choice of 3 different levels of attenuation -

Amazon product ASIN B0057G44WM

Last edited:
To keep this thread up to date I have just picked up a pre-owned pair of Kudos Cardea C2s. These weren’t really on my radar and hadn't been mentioned here, but they came up for sale at an attractive price and so I took the plunge.

Against all advice I bought them without a demo, but I figured that I will run them for a couple of weeks and some back to back listening tests with the GB1s. If the C2s don‘t win me over I’ll move them on again. If they do then the PMCs will be sold.

Initial impressions are positive, but more detail and feedback on these after some listening......

To keep this thread up to date I have just picked up a pre-owned pair of Kudos Cardea C2s. These weren’t really on my radar and hadn't been mentioned here, but they came up for sale at an attractive price and so I took the plunge.

Against all advice I bought them without a demo, but I figured that I will run them for a couple of weeks and some back to back listening tests with the GB1s. If the C2s don‘t win me over I’ll move them on again. If they do then the PMCs will be sold.

Initial impressions are positive, but more detail and feedback on these after some listening......
Nice speaker.. the C2.. but it is much lighter in the bass than most of its competition and does have a fairly excitable treble.. stay clear of anything harsh and you shouldn't run into too much issue.. but you will notice that missing bottom especially from having the pmc..

I’m finding the opposite in fact. The specs suggest they’re similar - GB1i 29Hz-25kHz and Kudos 30Hz-25kHz, but the C2 seems to have more low end clout. Maybe it’s just a scale thing, but the lower frequencies certainly grab your attention more. It is a larger driver and more voluminous box. The downward firing port it doesn’t seem to sensitive to positioning - a plus for my room. The treble is crisp but not overly bright. Might just be that they’re a good match for my Tucana. Anyway, much more listening to do before I conclude.

Last edited:
I’m finding the opposite in fact and the C2 bass performance delves much deeper than the GB1. It is a larger driver and more voluminous box and with the downward firing port it doesn’t seem to sensitive to positioning - a plus for my room. The treble is crisp but not overly bright. Might just be that they’re a good match for my Tucana. Anyway, much more listening to do before I conclude.
ah yes.. you have the leema don't you :facepalm:... they were always exceptionally good on their bottom end reproduction.
That downward firing port will acoustically load your speaker and make it a bit faster.. on a solid surface it will drop the bass output slightly.. on a "raised floor" ie.. wood beam, first floor etc.. it will slightly increase the bass. where the transmission line of the pmc gives a fixed long "slow" bass.

Indeed and having read the few reviews of the C2s that are online I would say that my amp gets the best from them. Whether or not the amp has more to offer from different speakers I cannot say, but so far I am enjoying these.

Indeed and having read the few reviews of the C2s that are online I would say that my amp gets the best from them. Whether or not the amp has more to offer from different speakers I cannot say, but so far I am enjoying these.
That is the end game though.. to find something that you enjoy and like! so fingers crossed for you on the extended listen and tweak positioning and hope those C2's are the one!

I went into it not expecting them to be ‘end game’, but bought at a price worthy of trying them and I will probably not lose out if I decide they’re not for me. Sat here now I’m finding pros and cons to both, but it’s fun comparing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom