1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker upgrade path?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by marcoeser, Mar 10, 2002.

1. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,
    I've been thinking about the idea of making an upgrade in my speaker department, but I'm not quite what's the best way. Here's my set-up:
    Sony 32" TV,
    Sony 735 DVD (multi region),
    Sony TA-E9000ES (firmware version 2.5)
    Sony TA-N9000ES,
    Sony SLV-E810EE VHS Video,
    Sony 750 Sky digibox (1.3m satellite dish),
    Kef Q55 front (bi-wired), Q95c Centre, Q15 rear speakers
    Rel Strata III Sub-woofer
    Van Den Hul First Ultimate interconnects for front and center speakers
    Van Den Hul TeaTrack bi-wire for front speakers
    Van Den Hul CS122 for center speaker
    QED original speaker cables for rears

I think I should replace my fronts, i like the look of the new kef range or the old ref 1.2, 2.2 etc. It really depends what's available now.

Ok, so I replace the fronts but what do I do with my old ones, my Q55's?

I was thinking I could pair the Q55 (or even my Q15's and put the Q55's on the surrounds) up to the center channel (the last time I looked around the back of my amp, i think i remember seeing 2 center outputs). But at the moment I have a small space problem around the front area of my room, if you see my photos (link below) you'll know what I mean. So I'm not quite quite sure how I'll set it up.

Has anyone done this, using two speakers instead of the single center and was there a great improvement? I noticed in the HCC mag, the main photo in the projector review, they're using a single floor stander in the middle, below the screen.

Your advise would be greatly appreciated,

marc :)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    If you´re looking at replacing the fronts with Kef reference speakers ideally you should match them with either the Model 100 or Reference 200 centre speakers.

Having two centres speakers can cause acoustic problems (I´ve not tried this personally though) It also may cause a load problem for your amp.

Ideally you would have identical speakers across the front stage but in most setups (with TV´s) this is not possible. Unless you can get the TV up above the speaker (difficult if they are floorstanders or on stands).

You could try one of your Q55´s as a centre to see if it matches the Ref fronts but if not you can always move them to the back as surrounds.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Marc

Your system is well balance now and is therefore difficult to upgrade easily. I would just look at a Ref 1-2 or 2-2 with a 100c centre. There are members several here who have upgrade the 95 to 100 with good results. Don’t expect more, just expect better. Quality not quantity.

The 55 can then be used on rear duties if you want though I doubt they will offer more than your current 15. If however you go 7.1 at a later stage they could be used then. The 15 and 55 as a centre are a no no unfortunately. Dual centres is also probably somewhere you don’t want to tread either.

As you have a great sub I would look to just changing L, C and R. Any more than this isn’t really warranted with the rest of the kit as it is so well balanced already.

Make sure the Sony can really drive the KEF Refs. Speakers this good need quality amplification to drive them to their optimum.

4. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I should try to just enjoy the system rather than trying to upgrade all the time - I know, I have the sickness, upgradivittis.

I've found changing the cables on the 95 has improved things. Although the speaker really sounds like a cardboard box on bad recordings but great on great ones. But generally I like my 5.1 system but I'd like to improve the quality on the audio CD playback, which I'm looking into a dedicated CD transport at the moment, but that discussion belongs to another forum..

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Marc

I have EXACTLY the same speaker setup as you, or rather I had.

My new TDM34DS Di-Pole surrounds arrived today so I can't really comment of the difference yet, but the reason I started looking to upgrade was the lack of a "3D" soundstage.

I'm also going to follow the recommendations in other threads on this forum and replace the 95C with a model 100. There's regularly ex-dem ones appearing around the £170.00 mark.

Kef Ref 2.2's are also on my shopping list, but the new centre & surrounds should match fine with the Q55s for now.

Have you considered Di-pole surrounds?

Mark.

6. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mark,
    no I hadn't thought about it, I'd be most interested to see you get along, let me know.

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After you do as Nic sujested, a better amp, I got the Bryston 4BST, (it was an incredible improvement), for the front channels, and a second Strata III...