Speaker upgrade only to home cinema system?

R20B

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, thought I'd sign up as many Google searches in the past have led me to these forums.

I have a Sony HT-AS5 cinema system, its not the best in the world but works in harmony with my Sony W9 TV. The subwoofer I think is great with no distortion at all but I feel I could do with upgrading the passive front 3 speakers for better clarity.

I'd basically like to know what my options are and if it is possible to upgrade my speakers while still using my Sony amplifier/receiver?

Rob.

Well the paper spec for your amp isn't too shabby although the reference power output per channel is considerably greater than the overall power consumption of the unit (110W). The rated impedance of the speakers is 3ohms so you may be able to use some reasonably efficient replacement speakers. Your problem may be getting some examples to try! I'm sure somebody will have some models to consider.

Thanks I appreciate the reply. Hope to hear of some examples then!

Do I just look about for speakers with 3ohm impedance?

You'll find some at 4ohms. I can't comment on what contribution your amp makes to the overall sound experience.

Although the amp suggests a good power output this is somewhat inflated due to the low impedance speakers. Put more usual AV speakers on the amp which tend to be 8 ohm then you can half this power figure if not more. Then the power does not look so good. Given the amps in all in one systems are not great quality either I do not see any benefit in upgrading the speakers. If you want better sound quality then you really need to start again with an AV receiver and proper AV speaker set.

Yeah that does make perfect sense might look into a standalone Sony AV receiver. I just love how my little setup integrates well with my TV and can control everything with 1 little remote.

'Silk purse out a sows ear '
Would have been an apt title.

All in one's are a common thread on here...unfortunately you either have to live with the limitations or bin the entire thing..
The speakers wont work with other amps...the amp wont work with other speakers..same for the sub(mid)woofer.
Sorry

Any receiver will have HDMI control the same as your current system so will have the same level of control as you have now (no need to buy a Sony receiver). BraviaLink is no different to any other HDMI control system implemented by other manufacturers (and called something different to try to make it sound like they have something different to the completion). They all use the same standard.
For better and easier control an all in one remote like the Logitech harmony is even better.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom