1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Upgrade... Need Some Sugguestions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PikPik Carrot, May 1, 2005.

1. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now i was going to upgrade my cd player first but after a good long think ive decided to upgrade my speakers first.

Now i have'nt decided on what speakers im getting yet, what i would like is some sugguestions on some speakers so i can look into them in more detail.Im after a set of floor standers, i dont really want to go over £250, they need to sound really good but they need to have a good level of thump when it comes to bass as most of what i listen to has a fair to alot of bass.

To pairs i was looking at are the TDL Studio 10 and the Mordaunt-short 914 speakers.Can anyone give me any info on these two please.Remeber i have'nt settled on these two, there just two i was looking at, so as said before some sugguestions would go down nice as i only really know of a couple of brands an i must admit there only what ive seen in richer sounds.

What are B&W speakers like as ive seen them mentioned before.

2. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I'm actually in a similar position as you in that I want to upgrade my speakers. Now I have auditioned the Studio 10's at the store but I have to admit it was not a proper audition. Considering that these use to cost 499 GBP or 800 Euro, and now are going for 300 euro, these are very good value for the money.

Who knows why the've slashed the price so much, but Richer Sounds is selling them cheap! Maybe because they are not great?

Now if you search TDL Studio 10, you'll find very few reviews but there is one by Paul Mood:
    http://ws2.richersounds.com/static/TDL Studio 10.pdf

But note its reviewd by Richer Sounds I think, Also, the other chatter on the net is that TDL was bought out by Richer Sounds, but then it seems Mr. Richer owns or is connected to many AV brands.

I digress. I've heard these. For 300 euro they sound nice. I thought that they had good sound staging and depth, and there wasn't too much bass. ie you weren't lost in the bass.

However, read many personal accounts and you'll find people definately leaning towards Monitor Audio Bronze 4 (389 euro) or your Mordaunt Short Avante 904 (369 euro). B & W are also fantasitc speakers and you should audition them if you have the chance. I don't know any models off hand but I've heard many of their smaller bookshelf speakers. Lovely.

Aparently if you've got the money, the Monitor Audio Silver 2 (which are book speakers) will give you better performance than the Bronze 4 floor standers. They are similarly priced but you'll need decent stands with the bookshelf speakers.

At the end of the day. They always say: go and listen to them first, get them to do a blind test, and choose the one YOU think sounds best.

However, like any audiophile, you're always going to be tempted by sales and reviews and looks.

I'd be interested to know what you go for. I'm certainly leaning towards the TDLs because of price, but if I can afford the extra 89 I'll go for the Bronze 4's, if a) I can find a pair to audition and b)if I can find the bloody 89 euros! c) hope my Marantz sr4300 can drive them adequately.

Darren

3. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What amp have you got? Assume as you like bass you like volume too, some speakers show good slam on demo in shop with good amps, but sound uncontrolled or flabby with poor ones. (a dealer I know dems everything with £10K plus of Naim amps unless you persuade him to connect up something else!).
    The models you mention look good value at Richer sounds, even better value appears to be the Mission 73I also at Richer sounds for £119, which i know are an easy load for an amp.
    One comment about Richer sound, they do have excellent value products, but I have had salesmen talk down some special offers and talk up own brands, for example one fairly rubbished the Mission 70I, I was looking at for effect speakers, that was on sale for £59.00, this speaker regularly won tests in it's sub-£150 bracket, and even in sub £200 bracket.
    Do consider 2nd hand or ex-display as a big box at £250 has got to have some significant compromise in cabinet or driver technology.

4. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Cyrus One amp.

I was also having a look at ..

Wharfedale Diamond 8.4
    Monitor Audio Bronze 4
    Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3

5. jessmith

jessmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that the cyrus is an excellent amp, but if anything lacks "grunt" when not coupled with optional PSX unit,you would find a benefit from the monitor audio being a very easy speaker to drive, but you should try to listen to make sure.

6. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi there. My housemate has 914s, bought on the basis of a good review in What Hifi? We ran them in on my quite high-end system and they sounded really impressive. He is now using them on a Yamaha DSPE800 and Cyrus smartpower combo and they sing extremely sweetly. They are crisp, clean, articulate and have plenty of well controlled weighty bass. Very good value.
    £250 would also get you (with a bit of haggling) a pair of B&W 602s. These are big standmounts so you'll need to factor in at least £50 but ideally £100 for some good stands. This is starting to make them look a bit expensive. They have a differerent sound to the MS914s - a bit smoother but different rather than better.

7. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have: Marantz DV 4400 dvd player and marantz SR4300.

Do you think I'll be able to drive the Bronze 4's or TDLs with ease?

Pik Pik, have you bought yet?

8. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys, i need to find somewhere to listen to them though in london.Cyrus didnt make a PSX unit for the Cyrus one, they did for the Cyrus two.

Darren Lui... na have'nt bought yet still pondering on which i will get.