1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Upgrade? Hope I'm in the right forum now....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Hawkis, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Hawkis

Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all. Bit of advice please. Just bought a sparates system for the home and am pleased with it except the speakers. They are 80w RMS which is more than enough for what we do with a Hi-Fi but I'm not overly impressed with the quality. What I would like to do is buy a new set of speakers for around £50. There doesn't seem to be a huge choice but to be honest I'm not that bothered. I am no longer an audiophile due to wife and kids commitment so it's been ten long years since I looked into audio equipment seriously. The amp I have is only 2 x 35w btw, and I was looking at the Acoustic Solutions AV120's which seem to have got reasonable reviews for the price. Would I be wasting the power of them with a 2x35w amp? Is there anything else (floor standing or stand mounted, not fussy) for £50 or close that I should be looking at? The separates are all Acoustic Solutions and I was surprised to find they're actually quite decent for the price!
    Any help /advice is much appreciated.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    With that kind of budget you can't go far wrong with Misssiom M71i speakers that you can get here for a bargain price:-

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301131

The are a small compact speaker that give a larger sound than their size suggests and would be driven easily by any amp you have in mind. These little speakers were in my first set up and I had to spend many hundereds of pounds to better them when I upgraded. You'll not find better at this price point imo. :D

3. Hawkis

Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping you were going to say that! I have seen them in my local Richer but was put off by their size. However, I think that's the pair to go for as I can't find anything comparable and again, the reviews are all good.
    Cheers for the advice.

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    You shouldn't be dissapointed with them and for the money they are very good value. The only other way to make your money go further would to be to buy second hand imo.
    I found them to be quite musical speakers but I was using them as fronts in an av system at the time that was being used for music/movies 50/50. They are fairly limited bass wise but should be more than adequate for normal use. Their larger brother (M72) has a larger cabinate and hence more bass but you'll be hard pressed to find any as they have stopped producing them. They'd also be slightly more expensive.
    If you save a while longer and have a budget of around say £150 you'd have a lot more choice and get a bit more bang for your buck but with your current budget the M71i's are ideal:)

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The Missions are great speakers and excellent value for money. After buying these spend your budget on the source or amp to get a better sound.

What is the rest of your system?

6. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    the Mission m71s should be ok with your Acoustic Solutions separates. A good set of stands would be a worthwhile addition, both in terms of sonics and stability at a later date. I believe Richers sell stands upwards of £30. A very good upgrade imo although they HAVE to be filled.

hths, happy listening and don't forget good cabling too!

yikes, there is a lot to this separates lark isn't there!

7. Hawkis

Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice. I have a spot on pair of stands already left over from the days when I was an audiophile so ok there. Mission 's it is!
    Cheers,

Tony