Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

speaker upgrade..help !!...please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jonnyv, Jun 12, 2002.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thinking about changing my mission 701 frounts and 70c2 center speaker i have used for a couple of years now...

initially i was going to buy mordaunt short speakers, the ms902 frounts (£149.00)and ms905 center(£119.00).

On phoning my local dealer he said the mordaunt short speakers were not much of an upgrade..more of a side step..

He sugested B+W 601 frounts(£249.00) and LCR 60 center (£199)

The price difference is about £200 more for the B+W set up...

I'm interested in anyones opinion as to what might be a good upgrade for around £300.

cheers

2. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jonnyv
    You could try Mission M74's 213 pounds inc P&P at RS website. I upgraded to these from 702e and have found them to be a worth while upgrade if you like a Mission sound.
    Also what will you be using as surrounds?
    But I would demo the B&W's cos these are good speakers:)

3. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If this is any help, the guy at the Cambridge RS said that it isnt worth the extra spending on the M74 over the M73, as the sound quality difference is negligable.

He also said that What HiFi do b0ll0x reviews, as they have a share in some brands (or something like that) so they are biased. He recommended HCC though.

Just to ramble :)

4. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MattTheCat
    Before I got my M74's I did demo M73 and found them to be much better of the two.
    Also I read an amazing review of the M73's in HiFi Choice when filled with sand and the results were a big step up from when they were unfilled
    And Matt I bet the Guy in RS did not tell you that the M74's are 201 on the net but 299 instore.
    But this is IMP
    Samir

5. Jarvo

Jarvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a few years I have had a similar setup with mission 700 and a

70C1. After many auditions I ended up staying with Mission and

bought a pair of M73 and an M7C2, they sound much better, they

have the same characteristics I like and if you shop around

they're relativelt cheap (under £300).

In my opinion most hi-fi dealers only sell you what they've got in

stock and they don't have a clue what it sounds like.

6. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jonnyv

Let me suggest a different approach. Forget how much money you have to spend and go and audition as many speakers and partnering kit as you can and see what you like, and more importantly, whether it improves on what you already have. If you find something you like and it's more than £300 then start saving! Doing it this way will save you money in the long run because you will do fewer 'incremental' upgrades before reaching audio 'nirvana'. Also, chuck any magazine reviews you have in the bin before you start. Your ears and brain are a unique combination, and you can be sure that what you like is probably not the same as what other people like and you may well overlook exactly what you're looking for just because somebody else gave it a 'duff' review.

7. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The b&w price is rrp only, i got my 601's for £215 and my r60 for £165 from superfi (shop not site)