Speaker upgrade from B&W 606 s2

Tension255

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking for some speakers to replace my current B&W 606s2, powered by a NAD C275Bee. Previously, I was the owner of KEF R3, but found out that R3s are too laid-back and smooth for my ears I like to hear some "speckles" in Cello & Violin music. After trying many speakers including Dynaudio special 40, KEF ls 50 meta, and some models from sonusfabor, I took the 606 s2 in the end. It has a neutral sound with a lot of details in cello music (to my ears only), but not so good at movies.

I am wondering if there would be some good speakers (neutral, transparent, details) to replace the 606s2 within 4k £? I am not ok with laidback sound (like R3s) nor forward sound (like 705s2, or 706s2) ........ maybe ideally some HiFi speakers with monitor character...

PS I believe some may consider 606s2 to be bright, but they are not to my ears at least.....

What are your sources and Preamp, from what I can tell the Nad C275 is a power amp.

I you like the clean sparkly studio sound why not go to the daddy with the Focal Trio Be 6. Those Beryllium tweeters are so clean and clear plus the three way design gives you that extra midrange clarity and allows the woofer to concentrate on the bottom end. Around £4K for a pair new or cheaper second hand. They should run off anything that the Nad C275 is plugged into. Worth finding a local pro music store for a listen.

Alternatively if you can live with the sideways style the Dynaudio Core 47 would again be worth a listen.

Last edited:
I have the original 606's and am wondering about something like Fyne F501 which should give more lower frequency oomph. Then there are some good reviews from MA speakers...

Maybe some ex dem Monitor Audio Gold 300 G5's, or some ProAc Response D2R'S

Hi. For a very revealing, but still musical sound, I would suggest ATC SCM19. The current ATC SCM range has probably the most enjoyable tweeter that I've ever heard. So sweet, without being overly "warm". A rare trick. If I ever get round to replacing my Neat's (unlikely!), these would be first on the audition list.
Also, as a minor point, I think they look superb.

Hi. For a very revealing, but still musical sound, I would suggest ATC SCM19. The current ATC SCM range has probably the most enjoyable tweeter that I've ever heard. So sweet, without being overly "warm". A rare trick. If I ever get round to replacing my Neat's (unlikely!), these would be first on the audition list.
Also, as a minor point, I think they look superb.
ATC SCM19 is a nice sounding speaker no doubt, I nearly bought them until the salesman told me I needed a very high current amp to drive them properly, couldn't afford 3 grands worth of amp to go with them.

ATC SCM19 is a nice sounding speaker no doubt, I nearly bought them until the salesman told me I needed a very high current amp to drive them properly, couldn't afford 3 grands worth of amp to go with them.
Not necessarily true. My mate drives the SCM 11 with a 100 wpc Denon DRA800H, he got for £500. It sounds great. Would it be better with a monster amp? Maybe, but amp requirements are often over estimated in my opinion.

Not necessarily true. My mate drives the SCM 11 with a 100 wpc Denon DRA800H, he got for £500. It sounds great. Would it be better with a monster amp? Maybe, but amp requirements are often over estimated in my opinion.
Ok, probably the salesman trying to sell me Naim amps then, why am I not surprised! should have ran a mile when he suggested I ditch my 6 week old Denon PMA1600ne for at least a NAIT 5i .

Why not a surround 5 or 7.1 for movies and leave the 606s alone, as long as they do a good music work?

Not sure about a very good 2.0 speaker system bringing a decent movie experience IMHO.

Just thinking about.

Why not a surround 5 or 7.1 for movies and leave the 606s alone, as long as they do a good music work?

Not sure about a very good 2.0 speaker system bringing a decent movie experience IMHO.

Just thinking about.

Yep, I'm using and LG soundbar, woofer and surround speakers at the back for TV and a separate system for hi-fi stereo listening. Horses for courses.
Works really well for me but I'd imagine not everyone would want to fork out for two systems.

Hi all,
I am looking for some speakers to replace my current B&W 606s2, powered by a NAD C275Bee. Previously, I was the owner of KEF R3, but found out that R3s are too laid-back and smooth for my ears I like to hear some "speckles" in Cello & Violin music. After trying many speakers including Dynaudio special 40, KEF ls 50 meta, and some models from sonusfabor, I took the 606 s2 in the end. It has a neutral sound with a lot of details in cello music (to my ears only), but not so good at movies.

I am wondering if there would be some good speakers (neutral, transparent, details) to replace the 606s2 within 4k £? I am not ok with laidback sound (like R3s) nor forward sound (like 705s2, or 706s2) ........ maybe ideally some HiFi speakers with monitor character...

PS I believe some may consider 606s2 to be bright, but they are not to my ears at least.....
I'm not a fan of B&W, but I see many people like it. So, I'll skip commenting it, just take a look on post here:

What I suggest is to get some speakers based on SB Acoustics kits.

Take a look on the review of SB Acoustics Rinjani Beryllium DIY Kit:

This is review for DIY kit, easy to assemble - few screws to mount drivers and connect crossover, but take a look what reviewer write about it and what is his system in "Associated Equipment" section - it is some tens of thousands EUR of high-end gears, you'll get what Rinjani BE compared to and what reviewer means by "Yes, I’m convinced the Rinjani BE is a compelling, genuine high-end audio bargain."

My personal choice will "little brother" of Rinjani - 2-way bookshelf ARA Beryllium by StereoArt.
I really like 2-ways, even they do not make very low bass, but single midbass + tweeter better plays music.
ARA by StereoArt based on same drivers as Rinjani - SB Acoustics Satori 6.5" "Egyptian papyrus" midwoofer and SB TW29BN Beryllium Dome tweeter, but have better crossover design with excellent phase transition from driver to driver and better parts - internal wiring, WBT Nextgen terminals, high-end crossover components from Mundorf which can be found in extreme expensive speakers with 5-digit € price.

ARA Beryllium by StereoArt will be far better then anything you'll fin in 10k€ range. Due to beryllium dome, very detailed Satori woofer and good phase transition it will be very dynamical and will have all " "speckles" in Cello & Violin music ". Highs are reaaly natural, but it will not be bright as balance between highs and low is extremely fine.

Ara-BE-Orange-1280pix-2.jpg
ARA-BE-Black-hires.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom