Speaker Upgrade Considerations Help Please.

Regarding the QX2s I replaced my Kef R700 with these and although I miss that sweet Kef imaging I find QX better in others ways Better timing and a sweeter top end to my ears. The KEF were another level when it came to movies though but hey I'm comparing beasts of a floor stander here to a "budget standmount"
You'll need to compare the Mission ZX

Comparing the £275 Mission QX2 against £2000 Kef r700 isn't really a fair comparison.

You'll need to compare the Mission ZX

Comparing the £275 Mission QX2 against £2000 Kef r700 isn't really a fair comparison.

I'm comparing them because I've replaced one with the other and making the point that in some, but not all ways, I prefer the QX2 hence for the money they are one hell of a speaker.

Has anyone heard of or know of these:

Definitive Technology Demand Series D7 ?

Regarding the QX2s I replaced my Kef R700 with these and although I miss that sweet Kef imaging I find QX better in others ways Better timing and a sweeter top end to my ears.

Yet another example that defies the adage, 'you get what you pay for'. And here's another...

Seeing as the OP enjoys the Monitor Audio sound, how about the Silver 100? Gets great reviews everywhere. Many don't consider MA's next model up (the more expensive Silver 200) to be an improvement on the Silver 100.

Yet another example that defies the adage, 'you get what you pay for'. And here's another...

Seeing as the OP enjoys the Monitor Audio sound, how about the Silver 100? Gets great reviews everywhere. Many don't consider MA's next model up (the more expensive Silver 200) to be an improvement on the Silver 100.

When I demoed the R700 I also demoed the Q Acoustics 3050i. It was as a close call with the Q's being more vibrant and again having a more detailed top end. In end I went with the Kefs because they had more depth and they were on special at £1200.

I was mulling over both with the sales guy and his advice was to go with the Kefs as he said the original price of 2K versus a £650 speaker meant I would be getting a far superior speaker but I said in comparing the two sound wise no way was there a one and half grands worth of difference in the sound, Nowhere near it

When I demoed the R700 I also demoed the Q Acoustics 3050i. It was as a close call with the Q's being more vibrant and again having a more detailed top end. In end I went with the Kefs because they had more depth and they were on special at £1200.

I was mulling over both with the sales guy and his advice was to go with the Kefs as he said the original price of 2K versus a £650 speaker meant I would be getting a far superior speaker but I said in comparing the two sound wise no way was there a one and half grands worth of difference in the sound, Nowhere near it
What were you driving the R700s with as they need a fair bit of power to get the best out of them. I don't believe they were the sweet spot of the R Series though and many reviewers have highly praised the old R300s.

It is seeming to be between the following two:

1: MA Bronze 100
2: Q Acoustics 3030i

Has anybody heard the 3030i and if so what did you think?

I haven't heard either of these but from test measuerements I've seen, the MA Bronze 100 have a slightly emphasised mid-to-upper bass response. They'll need a bit of space to sound at their best. Hope the listening room isn't small.

Has anybody heard the 3030i and if so what did you think?

A sideways move at best. They’ll sound different to the current speakers but by no means necessarily better.

I’d suggest you save some more money before buying so as to get actually better speakers in all regards.

Makes sense what Paul7777x suggests. You wouldn’t have to save for too long to get beyond the quality of the two you have narrowed it down to.

Common sense would suggest to upgrade to the next model up and opt for a speaker in the Silver range for MA but as ever I am always open to test what other manufactures have to offer within the same price point.

I could save up a little more and opt for a better quality pair of speakers but then where do I stop for something that is only going to be used in the bedroom/work desk space. These will be placed on my desk, one on each corner and facing my shoulders.

The room is rather small at 8ft wide by 15ft long. Its a test of wants vs pocket money and I don't carry much change in my pockets lol

I am using a Dragonfly with QED cables to the amp. I stream music from Amazon HD which in all honesty seems to blow Spotify Premium out the water. The quality is seeming to be the best I have experienced with online streaming services.

Last edited:
In these troubled times it’s more difficult to listen to your next potential guilty pleasure but if you can arrange it, let your ears be the judge. :lesson:

Excellently put Onlythsound.

Do you know of any decent foam pads to raise the speakers a touch while seated on the ends of the desk?

Do you know of any decent foam pads to raise the speakers a touch while seated on the ends of the desk?

A few different types of desk stand/pads here:

If you can't adjust the speakers so that the tweeter is roughly at (listening) ear level (seated?) then maybe go for a stand that can be tilted or pads that give some tilt.

The room is rather small at 8ft wide by 15ft long.

There's a limit to the size of speaker that would work well in a typical 12 sqm room. IMO, even the MA Bronze 2 may be a little too large so I certainly wouldn't buy a bigger speaker.

I will be expecting the MA Bronze 100 tomorrow at some point. I have had a look at the size dimensions on their website and I must admit they are quite a fair big larger than what I currently have.

I have noticed that the MA Silver 100 also have a 8" driver in a much smaller cabinet, I do wonder how they would sound compared to its younger but larger in size brother MA Bronze 100?

Last edited:
I believe you meant to type MA Silver 100 rather than 500 as the 500 are floor standing speakers.

I believe you meant to type MA Silver 100 rather than 500 as the 500 are floor standing speakers.
Thanks bud, corrections have been made. To much screen time and emails. 🥴

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom