• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker upgrade advise

dsgnr

Standard Member
Hi everyone, I am a little bit of an film buff so I like good sound (when my budget allows). My current home sound system consists of:

Pioneer VSX-922 amplifier
Pioneer BDP 450 Blu ray player
Wharfedale SW150 active subwoofer
4x Wharfedale Diamond 6's (these are handed down from my dad) used for RL, RC, RR and centre
eBay special Eltax Liberty 5+ 150 Watt Floor Standing Speakers used as front left + right

This has been built up over the last few years (I'm 23 and just moved out of my parents house to my own flat with the mrs). I think my setup sounds plenty good for what I need, however, the Eltax speakers are large and the Diamonds are definitely showing their age although they're still working great.

During the move the Eltax speakers were both dropped (not by me) and so the sound is pretty poor now. Ones quiet and both sound distorted. Perfect excuse to upgrade!

I find that with the Eltax speakers on the fronts, I don't find myself needing to turn the subwoofer on all the time unless I'm watching a really good BluRay.

Just after some advise on what would be the best options for me

I have seen both the Wharfedale Diamond 9's are going for a good price now, but I have also seen the Monitor Audio Bronze 2's which I quite like the look of. I'd rather not go for floor standing ones as we are going to rearrange the lounge soon so would like them to be the same sort of size as the current Wharfedale Diamonds I have (are these book shelf?). Any other recommendations, throw them over!

Obviously these above give an idea of my ideal price range but would happily spend a bit more if it was noticeable.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom