1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gusf1, Nov 22, 2003.

1. gusf1

gusf1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I have been using my dad's old Celestion speakers (around 26 years old I believe...!) for a few years which used to be paired with an amazing old Amstrong amp until that broke a few months ago, which is when I upgraded to the following bits of kit:

Marantz sr4300
    Marantz dv4100
    Wharfedale Loudpanel PPS1 system (I know, WAF..)
    2 x Celestion 15XR
    Mission M7C1

I am happy with my system, kind of anyway. I can't help thinking that a new set of speakers would complement the room (WAF again) and also the system a little better than the Celestions?

Something like the Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 or Mission M73/4i

I was just wondering if any of you knowledgeable lot would recommend upgrading at all, and if so which sub-£200 speakers you would recommend?

I know it's all subjective and depends what I like and what it sounds like to me, but I have hardly any experience in matching bits of kit to best effect... I mean has speaker technology really not progressed in 25 years or what? :) :)

Maybe just a nice sub would be a better addition - but the flat is too small for disturbing neighbours :(

thanks in advance for any advice or help!

gus

Edit: Forgot to mention - I think magnetically-shielded speakers would be a good idea too as they are currently quite close to the TV, no problems yet though. Would this affect a plasma (later down the line...)?

2. gusf1

gusf1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Anybody have the Mission M33 or M34s? From what I've read they replace M73/M74, but I've yet to read a proper review of them

I'm also thinking maybe the Tannoy Mercury mX3-Ms might do the trick at £150...

Any advice at all would be great here - thanks!

3. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mission m34 sound great,lots of power and great clarity:;i highly recomend dem.Best price ive seen is on www.qed-uk.com at £233.Eventually u should aim to get the matching m3c and m3ds surround bitz.That way u wil achieve a more even tonal balance.

zoolander:D

4. gusf1

gusf1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks zoolander, I may opt for the m34s although they go for a bit more than I was wanting to spend... unless I drop a couple of people off the christmas list :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The room is not the biggest, with speakers max 3m away from the ideal seating position so maybe the m33s would do. At nearly 100 bucks cheaper too. I know what you're saying about matching rear surrounds for even tone but my loudpanels haven't been up long, so won't be changing them for a while. Just upgraded not long ago, it's all still new to me and sounds great so far! Ignorance is bliss I guess...! :) :laugh:

Anyway if anybody can recommend Mission m33s, Wharfedale Diamond 8.3s or Tannoy Mercury mX3-Ms above any of the other two I will probably go with these - all within the original price bracket which will mean everybody still gets a christmas present :)

Cheers!

gus

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd go with the smaller m30 as your fronts and a Yamaha Ystsw005 subwoofer retail prices should be less than £200

6. gusf1

gusf1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think I will leave a subwoofer until I live in a flat with more sound insulation - and then get a "proper" one, I've heard there is not much merit in buying a subwoofer for that price if you have good mains.

Thanks for the advice though, I will definitely be upgrading as I have caught the bug, I think I will probably opt for m34s in the end... or possibly the Diamond 8.3s or Tannoy mx-4s BUT I will need to find a place to listen to them first

Getting there... :)

7. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Diamond 8.4's (£230 ish ) from QED which do sound great seem to have plenty of weight / bass with having the extra bass driver unfortunatly they are packed away in there boxes until we move to a bigger house in Australia in the new year (they are/were cheaoer here buy the way than in Oz).

Grahm