Speaker upgrade advice needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ashenfie, Apr 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +459
    Speaker up grade options. Current system,

Yamaha RX-A 3010 Advantage Amp.

5 x Paradigm Millenia One speakers

1 x XTZ 1x12 Sub

I want to expand the music side of the system and am feeling that I want to go the 2 channel speaker route rather than using small drivers in the MilleniaOne’s in combo with the sub.

The crossover point @ 120Hz is impacting on the vocals and the bass is slightly disjointed.

So I am thinking of moving replacing the Front left and right channels with a full range speaker. I like rock and new age music along with some classical. I think I need solid base and clear vocals. Size is an issue lol. Floor standing speakers are not going to work with my room, and the speakers need to be close to the wall

I have a budget in mind of up to £2000 and am think of replacing the amp to an Arcam 550. With an option to go DTS-X.

I think the Sound correction could be good for my 5m wide by 4m room.

So what speaker wise would fit the bill?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    If replacing the left and right speakers then it is advisable to also replace the centre speakers as well. This is to try ensure timbre matching across the front soundstage and using 3 speakers from the same manufacturers range across the front helps in this respect.

Note that even if using larger speakers at the front, you'd still be advised to use a crossover and the receiver's bass management in conjunction with them and redirect anything below 80Hz to the sub. You say "full range" but yuo'd need to be spending about £20K to even get close to full range. There's no real reason why this would be detrimental to the audio as long as the system is setup right. You can edffectively improve midrange and upper frequency headroom by redirecting the lower frequencies away from a speakers for a more capable sub to deal with. It is actually these frequencies and their demands on the power supply that compromise the upper frequency handling capabilities of a speaker. Simply pumping out more bass via the front stereo speakers isn't necessarily going to result in better musical performances, but having speakers you can use a lower 80Hz crossover with may result in better overall integration with them and the sub because ypu decrease the chances of the redirected frequencies localising the sub? Your other speakers however would still be dependant on a higher crossover if intending to continue using the Millenia speakers elsewhere within the setup.

Maybe look at the XTZ 99 series. The 99.25 standmount speakers are within budget and and you can buy them individually, allowing you to buy another as a centre speaker. Note that you'll also need to factor in the cost of good quality stands for these speakers.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  3. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +459
    That an interesting point about the cross over point and the advantage of a sub. I have to investigate the XTZ's as they look very interesting Thanks

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016