Speaker upgrade advice - from Tannoy Mercury

When a speaker range is replaced usually means discounts on the outgoing model.

It's all subjective and personal preference. I like the detail of the ribbon tweeters and the timbre of the Dali cones. The c cam drivers are clear but not as smooth.

Would you consider other brands or does it have to be Monitor Audio or Dali?

@Gasp3621 I live in manchester and I tried SevenOaks and RicherSounds but neither had a full setup in. I will look to see if there are any others around.

@Gasp3621 I've attached 2 photos of the lounge. I did one of them ultrawide so you could see the sofa better but do remember it distort and therefore make the room look gigantic.

The lounge is 21m2

View attachment 1522589View attachment 1522590
Nice clean setup.

If you still haven't found somewhere to demo, try doug brady, its only in warrington so only 20 mins down the m62 from you. They have a demo room and stock the dalis and MAs.

Hi @darrenhaken

How's your speaker search going ? Did you manage to arrange any demos ?
I managed to listen to the Opticon MK2 and the MA Silvers a couple of days ago. It was really close, I liked them both. However, there was something I slightly preferred about the Opticon but it was difficult to describe.

I've got a pair of Opticon 6 mk2s on the way but annoyingly RS can't get me the Vokal until October/November! Its on back order. I may have to drop back to a 4.1 system for now.

Great choice. I have gone for the same speakers so I would be interested in what amp/amps you match them with.

what amp did you demo with? did you compare them to the silver 200, 300 or 500?

Im still running mine in on low volume with a cheap amp (to use less electricity than 2 amps) and one of my old dvd players so i don't wear out my cd player.

Great choice. I have gone for the same speakers so I would be interested in what amp/amps you match them with.

Im still running mine in on low volume with a cheap amp.
I'm using a Sony STR-DN1080 receiver as I'd say 80% of my usage is for home cinema and gaming. I'll need to upgrade this next year to a better receiver.

Given hifi audio is coming with all the streaming services this year I may explore a dedicated amp as well. I drifted out of the audio space due to streaming.

I managed to listen to the Opticon MK2 and the MA Silvers a couple of days ago. It was really close, I liked them both. However, there was something I slightly preferred about the Opticon but it was difficult to describe.

I've got a pair of Opticon 6 mk2s on the way but annoyingly RS can't get me the Vokal until October/November! Its on back order. I may have to drop back to a 4.1 system for now.

Nice. Which finish you picked?

You can use the Oberon On-Walls with those Opticons as surrounds to save some money and also they are more compact which is probably what wife would want.

I would contact other dealers about the Opticon Vokal mk2. AVO has white grade2 so probably some open box model.

Nice. Which finish you picked?

You can use the Oberon On-Walls with those Opticons as surrounds to save some money and also they are more compact which is probably what wife would want.

I would contact other dealers about the Opticon Vokal mk2. AVO has white grade2 so probably some open box model.
I had considered this but RS did offer discount because I bought as a bundle. I could still buy somewhere else and cancel the Vokal. Think that's too harsh?

I favoured the Oberon's for the rears if I did Dali - so you think they will work?

I chose satin black. I love the tobacco oak and I saw it in person, lovely! However, I have an oak floor and I was worried it was too much oak.

Presumably this was the Manchester Richer Sounds @darrenhaken ?

I have a demo of the Opticons there on Wednesday, along with a few other things at Sevenoaks.

I'm not encouraged by the lead time on the Opticons though ! At this rate I'll be sticking with my Q Acoustics setup and delay the upgrade until things are back to normal with the supply chain.

Incidentally, both Peter Tyson and AVOnline are showing the Opticon Vokal as being in stock.

The mark 1 opticon lcr are reduced and may be better than the oberon lcr for surround duties whilst benefiting from the wider dispersion ribbon tweeters.

I had considered this but RS did offer discount because I bought as a bundle. I could still buy somewhere else and cancel the Vokal. Think that's too harsh?

I favoured the Oberon's for the rears if I did Dali - so you think they will work?

I chose satin black. I love the tobacco oak and I saw it in person, lovely! However, I have an oak floor and I was worried it was too much oak.
The satin black and tobacco oak have the same grilles and the front baffles look the same.

The tobbacco oak finish is on there sides and top but not the front. the satin black isn't actually satin black all around..its only the front that is satin black..the rest of the cabinet is like a fine black oak woodgrain finish.

You should stick to the same dealer who have helped you.

Agree with this stick with RS as they offered the 3 speakers at a discounted rate. Building such relationships can prove useful when looking at other future upgrades. 🙂

The mark 1 opticon lcr are reduced and may be better than the oberon lcr for surround duties whilst benefiting from the wider dispersion ribbon tweeters.

Nobody has any stock of these despite what they say on their websites.

The satin black and tobacco oak have the same grilles and the front baffles look the same.

The tobbacco oak finish is on there sides and top but not the front. the satin black isn't actually satin black all around..its only the front that is satin black..the rest of the cabinet is like a fine black oak woodgrain finish.

Yeah I agree, stick with the same dealer.

I was worried about the sides feeling like too much oak with the floor. These decisions are always hard!

Yes no reason why they wouldn`t work and perhaps bit more pleasing to eyes if you mount them on the same side walls.

If you don´t have issue waiting then all good.

Yes no reason why they wouldn`t work and perhaps bit more pleasing to eyes if you mount them on the same side walls.

If you don´t have issue waiting then all good.
What do you mean a bit more pleasing?

I think the Opticon LCR would be simply too big. I measured them against my wall and they are truly some serious speakers

As in smaller than the Opticon LCR which is clearly too big for you.
It is too big, unless it's really worth the size for the quality.

I got the impression the LCR is geared towards the front three, it's in the name!

The LCR stands for Left centre and right use.

It doesn't just mean front Left, front Centre and front Right.

It can be used for rear Left, rear Centre and rear Right.

If you watch Dali's videos on the opticon mark 2, they suggest the lcr can be used for surrounds.

If you watch Dali's videos on the opticon mark 2, they suggest the lcr can be used for surrounds.
Ah I see!

Do you think the LCR would be better to go for than the Oberon on walls then?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom