Speaker upgrade advice - from Tannoy Mercury

darrenhaken

@Gasp3621 me again!

I have been trying to secure some deals on Silvers and Opticon and I've managed to get a similar price for either Opticon 6 MK2 plus Vokal MK2 or Silver 300s plus C350 centre speaker.

Given the option between the two, where would you place your money?

I'm also curious if the answer is Dali what would you recommend for the rears? I could go Dali Opticon LCR (so pricey ouch), Oberon on walls or still get the Silver FX rears. Would the Silver FX rears work given the fronts are Dali? I hear it works with different rears to your fronts.

I was also curious if the Silver C350 is a reason to go that way over the Opticon because it's maybe better than the Vokal?

I've got an audition next week for Silver 200s and Oberon 7 but sadly I can't get the 300s or Opticon 6.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Gasp3621 me again!

I have been trying to secure some deals on Silvers and Opticon and I've managed to get a similar price for either Opticon 6 MK2 plus Vokal MK2 or Silver 300s plus C350 centre speaker.

Given the option between the two, where would you place your money?

I'm also curious if the answer is Dali what would you recommend for the rears? I could go Dali Opticon LCR (so pricey ouch), Oberon on walls or still get the Silver FX rears. Would the Silver FX rears work given the fronts are Dali? I hear it works with different rears to your fronts.

I was also curious if the Silver C350 is a reason to go that way over the Opticon because it's maybe better than the Vokal?

I've got an audition next week for Silver 200s and Oberon 7 but sadly I can't get the 300s or Opticon 6.

Tough question, but the C350 might make me lean toward MA due to extra driver and larger cab, but for typical lounge system the Vokal shouldn`t be lacking. Did you google all the MA/Dali dealers in your area? You need to make longer trip if that is required to get a demo of Opticon 6 mk2 and Silver 300 side by side. There must be dealer that carries both! That isn´t much helpful to hear different speaker than you are buying, unless you are considering still the Oberon.

Post a picture of your couch area at the back of room.

darrenhaken

@Gasp3621 I live in manchester and I tried SevenOaks and RicherSounds but neither had a full setup in. I will look to see if there are any others around.

@Gasp3621 I've attached 2 photos of the lounge. I did one of them ultrawide so you could see the sofa better but do remember it distort and therefore make the room look gigantic.

The lounge is 21m2

20210604_084403.jpg
20210604_084415.jpg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Can`t see fully the side walls. But if the cabinet on right is against that wall like it probably is then the FX ain`t going to work optimally. With Dali that would mean Oberon On-Wall (you can mix range for surrounds) and for Monitor Audio example Soundframe model.

Call to Audio-T Manchester right away and ask do they keep the new Opticon mk2 range there or even the old 6 model and MA Silver 300.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yep the FX would be wrong choice if that cabinet is staying there, you need some direct radiating speakers on the side walls. You can keep what you have for now if you can´t afford everything right away. The av-cabinet on front wall is quite tall. If you wall mount tv and fit larger center channel below it the tv goes quite high and that could be uncomfortable.

Lets hope Audio-T carries them and can give you demo of both or either one.

darrenhaken

@Gasp3621 don't the FX speakers have a setting that makes them simply fire forward? di-pole is it?

I only got the cabinet a few months ago as I needed a wider one to fit all my equipment in. I hadn't expected it to be as tall as it is and I agree if it's any higher it might be too high. Thoughts if the TV was wall mounted higher and then tilted downwards? It's something I thought about.

At present, this is why the centre is in the cabinet. I know it's not perfect.

darrenhaken

Yep the FX would be wrong choice if that cabinet is staying there, you need some direct radiating speakers on the side walls. You can keep what you have for now if you can´t afford everything right away. The av-cabinet on front wall is quite tall. If you wall mount tv and fit larger center channel below it the tv goes quite high and that could be uncomfortable.

Lets hope Audio-T carries them and can give you demo of both or either one.
Would the Oberon on-wall or the Opticon LCR work in that space?

paulw77

Off at a (slight) tangent, it would be good to hear your experience getting demos in Manchester.

I've tried both Audio-T and Sevenoaks and neither seem keen on demoing anything that requires too much effort on their part - they'll basically let you hear what's already set up, or do minimal swap outs. They didn't seem interested in setting up some of my suggestions.

Good luck with your demoing and let us know how you get on.

darrenhaken

Off at a (slight) tangent, it would be good to hear your experience getting demos in Manchester.

I've tried both Audio-T and Sevenoaks and neither seem keen on demoing anything that requires too much effort on their part - they'll basically let you hear what's already set up, or do minimal swap outs. They didn't seem interested in setting up some of my suggestions.

Good luck with your demoing and let us know how you get on.
This is similar to my experience on the phone at the moment

vm1451

Not sure if this will be any help or not, apologies if I'm wasting bandwidth!!

I've been looking to "upgrade" my B&W LCR and to that end recently listened to Dali Rubicon 5s at RS in Southampton. It wasn't an ideal listening environment and I didn't hear them with my amp but I was really underwhelmed by them.

Now to be fair I was trying to look for speakers NOT built in China and that was seriously reducing any choice I had, so if I do move forward then I have no choice but to start looking at speakers built there, including MA. I have discounted Kef Q750s on account they they use passive radiators and that's one of the reasons I want to move on the DM603s I have.

I may try and listen to some MA silver 300s and 500s and staying on the theme of not buying Chinese manufactured goods I may also compare some Dali Opticon 6.

What's driving all of this for me is I want to change out my center, (CC6), and of course it's better that the LCR are matched! First world problems eh? :rotfl:

paulw77

For what it's worth I can chip in with some experience of the MA Silver range.

We have Silver 50s and the silver C150 centre as the LCR speakers in our living room setup, in a similar arrangement to yours - left and right either side of TV and centre underneath. They're a really nice sounding speaker - quite neutral, with slight emphasis on the midrange and treble. Compared to the Q Acoustics setup in our cinema room they're less mellow and laid back.

My only criticism of the Silver range is that they're looking quite dated now, especially the wood finishes, and could do with an overhaul similar to the Bronze range. The satin white finish is quite modern looking but the other finishes look quite old fashioned in my opinion and might not fit in with the nice modern decor in your lounge.

darrenhaken

We have Silver 50s and the silver C150 centre as the LCR speakers in our living room setup, in a similar arrangement to yours - left and right either side of TV and centre underneath. They're a really nice sounding speaker - quite neutral, with slight emphasis on the midrange and treble. Compared to the Q Acoustics setup in our cinema room they're less mellow and laid back.

My only criticism of the silver range is that they're looking quite dated now, especially the wood finishes, and could do with an overhaul similar to the Bronze range.
Why don't you want them from China?

Any opinion on my dilemma of the MA Silver vs Opticon range?

darrenhaken

Not sure if this will be any help or not, apologies if I'm wasting bandwidth!!

I've been looking to "upgrade" my B&W LCR and to that end recently listened to Dali Rubicon 5s at RS in Southampton. It wasn't an ideal listening environment and I didn't hear them with my amp but I was really underwhelmed by them.

Now to be fair I was trying to look for speakers NOT built in China and that was seriously reducing any choice I had, so if I do move forward then I have no choice but to start looking at speakers built there, including MA. I have discounted Kef Q750s on account they they use passive radiators and that's one of the reasons I want to move on the DM603s I have.

I may try and listen to some MA silver 300s and 500s and staying on the theme of not buying Chinese manufactured goods I may also compare some Dali Opticon 6.

What's driving all of this for me is I want to change out my center, (CC6), and of course it's better that the LCR are matched! First world problems eh? :rotfl:

darrenhaken

My only criticism of the Silver range is that they're looking quite dated now, especially the wood finishes, and could do with an overhaul similar to the Bronze range. The satin white finish is quite modern looking but the other finishes look quite old fashioned in my opinion and might not fit in with the nice modern decor in your lounge.
@paulw77 i got your message confused with an earlier poster.

I agree on the Silver range style, its something that's putting me off. Another member said they look a lot better in person though, I haven't seen one yet.

What do you think of the Opticons?

paulw77

I've never heard the Opticons. They were one of the options I was trying to get a demo of.

I'm looking to upgrade our whole Q Acoustics based system in our cinema room and the Mk1 Opticon LCR was on my list but they're not available any more and the Mk2 version is a bit too pricey.

Ideally I want in-walls but getting demos is nigh on impossible.

vm1451

Personal reasons

Regarding China, my reasons are personal and nothing to do with perceived build quality.

As I said, I have yet to hear any MA speakers or indeed any Opticons so can't really pass comment. I have seen and heard Rubicon 5s which are the range up from Opticons and was left very underwhelmed compared with what I am listening to at home. Again, mitigating circumstances are that I didn't hear the Rubicons in my house with my amp but for what they cost I wasn't that impressed which is why I would like to listen to Silver 300s and 500s to compare with Rubicon 5s that are around £1k more than Silver 300s.

darrenhaken

Personal reasons

Regarding China, my reasons are personal and nothing to do with perceived build quality.

As I said, I have yet to hear any MA speakers or indeed any Opticons so can't really pass comment. I have seen and heard Rubicon 5s which are the range up from Opticons and was left very underwhelmed compared with what I am listening to at home. Again, mitigating circumstances are that I didn't hear the Rubicons in my house with my amp but for what they cost I wasn't that impressed which is why I would like to listen to Silver 300s and 500s to compare with Rubicon 5s that are around £1k more than Silver 300s.
Thanks for answering, that makes sense.

password1

Distinguished Member
You should also take into account the new Opticon mark 2 are just released a few months. The current MA Silver range are about 4 years old and are due to be replaced. Expected within the next 12-18 months, maybe a little longer due to the pandemic.

Also Dali speakers are easier to position. No need to worry about toeing in angles and can be placed close to a wall.

The new Opticon floorstanders have ribbon tweeters and soft dome tweeters derived from the higher end models and have a wider sweet spot whereas MA use c cam tweeters which imo a little bright and harsh at louder volumes especially on not so warm sounding amps.

darrenhaken

You should also take into account the new Opticon mark 2 are just released a few months. The current MA Silver range are about 4 years old and are due to be replaced. Expected within the next 12-18 months, maybe a little longer due to the pandemic.

Also Dali speakers are easier to position. No need to worry about toeing in angles and can be placed close to a wall.

The new Opticon floorstanders have ribbon tweeters and soft dome tweeters derived from the higher end models and have a wider sweet spot whereas MA use c cam tweeters which imo a little bright and harsh at louder volumes especially on not so warm sounding amps.
What is it about the Silvers coming closer to their next version Vs the newly released Opticon mk2s?

I hadn't realised the Opticon are easier to position. This is certainly a strong plus to Dali then

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier